Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
naraht

Default Cesar Millan: Dog Whisperer...

What does a (human) role for an Elohite of Animals look like?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
ladyarcana55

Default Re: Cesar Millan: Dog Whisperer...

I don't think Cesar Milan would be it, he's far to personable. I imagine he's a Soldier working with an Elohite, but definitely not one himself
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Drop Bear

Well they have an affinity for Reptiles and Arid environments, so likely a Parks & Wildlife Ranger from one of the desert sates posabaly of Indigenous heritage.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
I don't think Cesar Milan would be it, he's far to personable. I imagine he's a Soldier working with an Elohite, but definitely not one himself
Elohim can be personable, especially if that's the objective best way to achieve their goals. If you want one that works with reptiles, part of me could see the late Steve "Crikey!" Irwin in the Role.

The biggest challenge about a human Role for a servant of Animals is that, while they're potentially a great bridge for understanding, they also have to accept animals on their own terms rather than anthropomorphizing, and persuade others to do the same. (That's one reason I named Irwin -- genuine respect and appreciation for what an animal species could do.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Bear View Post
Well they have an affinity for Reptiles and Arid environments, so likely a Parks & Wildlife Ranger from one of the desert sates posabaly of Indigenous heritage.
Arid environments, he is in Los Angeles...
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Drop Bear

an other could be an Artist who's "Dropped Out" of normal society to paint the "High Deserts" so they get to pop up anywhere for a Charity event, Gallery opening or University lecture.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
ISNorden

Another potential Jordite in the flesh: Victoria Stillwell from the British TV series It's Me or the Dog. It's a terrible shame that the core rulebooks made that rule associating each Choir with a specific group of animals; Ms. Stillwell acts like an Elohite onscreen, handling human and canine emotions equally well without getting swept up by passion herself. She lays down rules and warns about consequences in a very no-nonsense way...more level-headed, Power-like analyst than preachy, Virtue-like avenger. (Stillwell would make a good starting point for designing a hypothetical Angel of Pet Trainers, in fact.)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Bear View Post
an other could be an Artist who's "Dropped Out" of normal society to paint the "High Deserts" so they get to pop up anywhere for a Charity event, Gallery opening or University lecture.
That sounds more like an Eliite to me... although, if his art emphasized the wildlife, he could be a Creationer in service to Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
... It's a terrible shame that the core rulebooks made that rule associating each Choir with a specific group of animals; ...
I seem to recall that's a very strong suggestion, not an absolute requirement. (I don't have time to look right now; I have to leave for work in a few minutes. If nobody beats me to it, I'll check this evening.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

(By the way, Rob, congratulations on the title! Er, so to speak.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I seem to recall that's a very strong suggestion, not an absolute requirement. (I don't have time to look right now; I have to leave for work in a few minutes. If nobody beats me to it, I'll check this evening.)
Here's the exact wording:
Quote:
Servitors of Jordi are well-versed in the language and culture of animals. Each Choir is attuned to a particular type of animal, noted below, and can communicate basic concepts to those creatures through sound and gesture.
Jordi’s servants, except Kyriotates, must purchase at least one animal vessel. Nothing they do in their animal vessels, except the performance of Songs and other expenditures of Essence, will disturb the Symphony!
So you're right - each Choir is connected to a particular broad group of animals. However, they only need to take an animal Vessel, not a Vessel from that broad group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
(By the way, Rob, congratulations on the title! Er, so to speak.)
Title? What title? I'm untitled... <g>

(Which might mean Kobal's gotten into the system... but I'm still alive, so probably not. At least it's not "Stale Bong Water".)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jordi, pop culture