Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #231
thedag

Default Re: Member House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno-Man View Post
[*]If an item is discarded, its attachments stay with it. So an Armored Piercing, Flaming, Self Cleaning, Gold Plated Eleven Foot Pole-a-matic With Spiky Bits of Doom and Destiny is discarded, and then reclaimed, those benefits stick with the weapon.
sounds interesting but could be confusing to keep track of cards attached to an item. How do you manage it or do you have a massive table

Quote:
[*]If a player runs out of cards for any reason, even if they're not dead, they may draw two cards from each deck on their next turn.
This seems rough. Imagine a wizard with one card. Discards it to charm a monster and gets two cards in return. They are being rewarded for charming a monster rather than paying a price which defeats the purpose. It would be different if you had new rules as you are required to have three cards minimum. There are other similar abilities where this seems unfair. How do you get around that or has it not been an issue?
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #232
Nakiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
This seems rough. Imagine a wizard with one card. Discards it to charm a monster and gets two cards in return. They are being rewarded for charming a monster rather than paying a price which defeats the purpose. It would be different if you had new rules as you are required to have three cards minimum. There are other similar abilities where this seems unfair. How do you get around that or has it not been an issue?
I think you have to have 3 cards in your hand to use Charm.
Though I do agree with you, you could play just to get rid of the cards in your hand so you get 4 more...
MiB #3872
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #233
Techno-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakiro View Post
Though I do agree with you, you could play just to get rid of the cards in your hand so you get 4 more...
Well, keep in mind that we use all seven munchkin expansions plus other sets, so our card stacks are a good foot and a half high. We have cards to burn and since the wizard is getting penalized since he receives no level, it balances it out. More often than not though, a player will en up going entire rounds without any hand at all- everything he has is in play. So in order to keep cards flowing at a more rapid rate, we figured that would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

Now, if anybody has any suggestions on how to keep the damn monster-deck thing staying upright and not toppeling each time someone draws, that would be useful.
Techno-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #234
Nakiro

Quote:
Well, keep in mind that we use all seven munchkin expansions plus other sets, so our card stacks are a good foot and a half high. We have cards to burn and since the wizard is getting penalized since he receives no level, it balances it out. More often than not though, a player will en up going entire rounds without any hand at all- everything he has is in play. So in order to keep cards flowing at a more rapid rate, we figured that would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

Now, if anybody has any suggestions on how to keep the damn monster-deck thing staying upright and not toppeling each time someone draws, that would be useful.
You could split the deck in half, then just use the first half before getting to the second one. Some people split it up into multiple drawing piles for each person. *shrugs*
MiB #3872
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #235
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakiro View Post
In the most recent rules that is true but we don't have those. We play with the rules we have so one card is all a wizard needs to charm but with the new rules it would balance out better.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #236
Gamer234

It's always better to go with the most updated rules. They were changed for a reason ;)

Also, if you allow someone to draw cards every turn they have none, it lessens the impact of Bad Stuff that forces you to discard your hand.
Gamer234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #237
Nerftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer234 View Post
It's always better to go with the most updated rules. They were changed for a reason ;)
Not really. Using rules that are different than what the card text says just leads to confusion. Especially when they're using all those house rules already.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #238
thedag

Quote:

Also, if you allow someone to draw cards every turn they have none, it lessens the impact of Bad Stuff that forces you to discard your hand.
We follow the official advice which is to use the rules we have to save problems of confusion.

I also don't see a problem with people losing their entire hand. How is that different to being killed and losing everything you have on the table as well as your hand? Are you going to suggest next that we make a rule to lessen the impact of death? I think the game is reasonably well balanced. The good feature about new rules is to use a wizard charm you must have three cards.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #239
Gamer234

I didn't say there was a problem with people losing their entire hand...I said just the opposite. If you always allow someone with no cards to draw new ones on their turn, then it's LESS of a bad thing to be forced to discard your hand. That's why I wouldn't add that house rule.
Gamer234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #240
Techno-Man

Quote:
I didn't say there was a problem with people losing their entire hand...I said just the opposite. If you always allow someone with no cards to draw new ones on their turn, then it's LESS of a bad thing to be forced to discard your hand. That's why I wouldn't add that house rule.
While I understand that much, the house rule came from a situation where a player was left with absolutely no hand for a record of seven consecutive turns, due to getting nothing but monsters that he could not fight. It became unfun for the player, so we implemented the house rule.

Discarding your hand is still bad though: You might have some good cards in there that you dont want to lose, but do.
Techno-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice