Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
djweaver29

Default Trading Munchkin Booty

My understanding is that the banana boat forces a trade with another player. But if that's the assumption does the Merchant force trades as well? Or does he just get the ability to trade during combat. Basically, is trading used for multiple meanings?
djweaver29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Trading Munchkin Booty

The High-Pressure Negotiator ability of the Merchant class absolutely does not force players to trade with the Merchant. It allows the Merchant the ability to trade during combat as one of its features, but any and all participants must be willing.

I don't know if "trade" is an unfortunate word choice on Banana Boat, but it certainly reads as the other player need not be willing. However, that player can certainly swap back when their turn comes around.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
djweaver29

That was 100% my reading as well, but one of the guys who I was playing with argued if one was true the other had to be.
djweaver29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

The use of "trade" in Banana Boat is probably trying to make sure that it's clear that the two Ships must change ownership, but "swap" would be an equally correct word.

In any case, if your friend was correct, then all trading could be executed on an unwilling player. That would turn Munchkin into a game where everyone just takes everyone else's in play Items all day long, and, well, that doesn't sound fun to me.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote