Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default How Do I Model Owning a Pocket Dimension?

I am just curious how someone would actually model owning a pocket dimension? It does not have to be large, it just has to be a place where a spirit could go for some R&R, though I imagine that more powerful spirits would have larger pocket dimensions. How would you go about modeling the ownership of such a thing?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: How Do I Model Owning a Pocket Dimension?

Lord of Your Own Domain from Pyramid #3/63 is the probably the best rules set for this.
Cosmic Payload is another way to go though its a lot more limited.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Toptomcat

When you say that they ‘own’ a pocket dimension, what exactly are you envisioning them being able to do with it? Have a supernatural bolt hole that they can enter and leave only at one exact real-world location? Have a place they can enter anywhere in real space, with the limitation that they can only re-enter reality at the same place they left, D&D Rope Trick style? Be able to enter it from anywhere and exit *anywhere* else in real space?

Is it a featureless 10’ cube? A well-appointed apartment? A palatial mansion? A peaceful glade? A place of power where the spirit can access unusual abilities? A bizarre and fractured space which will drive a man mad just to look at it? An airless, intensely radioactive void that is comfy for spirits but impossibly hostile to mortals? A paradise that molds itself to the spirit’s will?

Can others enter it? How? Only with the spirit’s consent, or can they break in? How easily? Can the spirit bring others there *involuntarily*- and once there, can they leave?

Can the spirit store and retrieve material things there?

How difficult is the process of accessing/traveling to the dimension? Is it time-consuming, tiring, dangerous, does it demand a ritual with props and diagrams?

You haven’t really given enough detail for us to translate what you want into any set of GURPS traits.

Last edited by Toptomcat; 06-11-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
gmillerd

If we read "dimension" with some latitude and consider your "spirit" in a limited fashion, you might be able to get away with the Ultra-Tech neural implant rules or similar Cyberpunk gimmicks. Which are in points and dollars. Much like a limited version of a Trek holo-deck you could have useful, private, R&R, with time dilation and consciousness.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

I was thinking a 100 square kilometer area where the spirit would have near absolute control over everything. No, technology would not be the answer, as you are still vulnerable to the outside world while in VR.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Pursuivant

You could start with a variation of Wealth to model the extra goods and services available there.

Add Allies if you have people within the dimension who serve you. Possibly add Rank or Status if you can command significant resources within your dimension. Add Social Regard (Revered) and/or Charisma (Impressive) if you're considered to be some sort of god-king.

Obviously, Jumper (Dimension) to get to/from your dimension with an extra encumbrance enhancement sufficient to let you carry lots of extra stuff. Add the Cosmic enhancement if only you can access it.

Add a limited variant of Snatcher if you can instantly summon objects from your dimension. Take the regular version of Snatcher if you can summon objects to your dimension.

Add a very limited version of Warp if you can travel instantly within your dimension.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 06-13-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:13 AM   #7
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Once upon a time I had a Kromm-approved build for this that did not make it into a product. It involved 18 levels of Control Space and Selective Cosmic Shrinking so that you could make a pocket universe where all travel wraps around and is roughly a hex across from the outside but has as much room as you can shrink down to a hex across on the inside. Filling it with bulk content is easy but furnishing it with useful amounts of energy, technology, population, etc can be expensive.

The Shrinking also helps in case you use it to vanish a guest who may be carrying hazardous substances.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote