Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Lemolime

Default Re: Door Links questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The Mapmaker draws a room tile and places it on the table without looking at it first. Whichever side is up is the room in play. Ditto the links.
Thank you, Andrew! I figured this.. just wanted to make sure before I begin to explain to my friends how to play.

Greatly appreciated.
Lemolime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The Mapmaker draws a room tile and places it on the table without looking at it first. Whichever side is up is the room in play. Ditto the links.
Well, that's interesting.

Since p. 6 explicitly says the links are put down randomly, but doesn't say that about the room, I assumed that the Mapmaker gets to pick which side of the drawn room to use. (My interpretation gave the Mapmaker the munchkiny advantage of choosing more favorable rooms for himself while his opponents get worse rooms.)

Edit: here's a previous thread where AH made the same ruling.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain

Last edited by capnq; 02-23-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: link previous thread
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
MunchkinMan

Why would the Mapmaker be given that advantage for the entire game? That's abusive, at best, and never would it be intended to give one player an advantage that can't be removed unless other players were given their own, non-removable, advantages. According to the rules, the ROOM, not the ROOM TILE is chosen randomly. Because the mapmaker must make sure all the text is all facing the same way, he MUST look at the room he is placing to place it properly. The rules do not say the same thing for placing the room as they do the links because you're required to do things a different way, so your interpretation is incorrect.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 02-23-2010 at 08:24 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #24
crimhead

When I pick rooms or tiles I grab them from an opaque bag (so I can't see them) and place whatever side my thumb is on facing up. The side my index finger touches faces down. That way I don't have to avoid looking at them as I place them, but they're still fair and random.
crimhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 AM   #25
MunchkinMan

The method I learned directly from Will (one of the designers at SJG) and Randy was to take out a tile without looking and then flipping it in the air just a little and taking it how it landed. Your method works, too, but I'll also just use the box lid and sorta move the lid in a motion like I was tossing a salad or distributing the salt and butter on a large bowl of popcorn (it must be time for breakfast with all these food references), if that makes any sense, then just picking up a tile while not looking into the box and then whatever I see first is the room.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
Blu

Since we're sharing....lol....

The last game that I was mapmaker, I took all the rooms and spread them out and we smooshed them around and shuffled them up and then stacked them back up. I think shuffled them up some more and set them sideways in the box in that stack. The end one was the first room and so on. When I picked the room up, I would kind of flip it up like Two-Face flipping a coin and let it land. Whatever side landed up, was the side that was face up on the map.

For links, we'd grab three and shake them in our hand and then drop them in front of us; whichever side was up is the side facing up on the map, and we'd also attach them down in the pattern matching how the fell.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #27
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Why would the Mapmaker be given that advantage for the entire game? That's abusive, at best, and never would it be intended to give one player an advantage that can't be removed unless other players were given their own, non-removable, advantages.
The owner of the game is given the advantage of winning deadlocked rules arguments for the entire game. The advantage to the Mapmaker wasn't enough to let the Mapmaker win either of the games in which I was using my incorrect interpretation.

I prefer to shuffle the room tiles and sometimes flip half the "deck", similarly to the way one shuffles a Tarot deck to reverse the images. The links I just flip onto the table like coins as I draw them.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote