Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
hobbstarrunner

Default Door Links questions

I just recently got MQ for Christmas and have yet to play. I just read through the extensive rulebook and couldn't find any further elaboration on door differentiation importance. My questions:

1. What is the purpose of a "locked" or a "hidden" door? Is this merely a means to prevent certain monsters from progressing in their movement? Can any player pass through "locked" and "hidden" for just 3 moves? What's the difference?

2. What is the difference between an open hallway link and a regular door link if they both cost 1 and monsters can pass through both? (Are there cards I haven't looked at yet that will make Doors important?)

3. If you have two Moves left, and there is a 3 Move locked door leading out, could you spend two moves NOW and then open the door with 1 Move on your next turn?

I appreciate any clarification...I'm trying to have all the technical knowledge before my friends and I play...I want to cut down on the additional hour that might be caused by rulechecking :)
hobbstarrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Door Links questions

The purpose of a Locked or Hidden door is to impede certain Monsters' movement, and, of course, the occasional Munchkin's. Of course, certain Races and Classes get to ignore Hidden or Locked (or both) doors.

Some Monsters can't go through doors, period, so that's the main difference between a regular door and an open hallway. There may be cards which affect or are affected by the presence of a regular door.

And, finally, you either use all your Move on your turn or you don't. You can't apply some Move on one turn and use the remainder the next, so if you only have 2 Move and want to got through a Hidden door, you'll just have to wait until your next turn and use 3, use a card to improve your Move by 1 or use a card or ability that allows you to move through a Hidden door with less Move than normal.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
hobbstarrunner

Thanks for the clarification, Erik.

Though your answer for #1 gives me a new question: how could a Munchkin not get through a Hidden or Locked door? I don't remember seeing anything in the rules saying they were prohibited/blinded to either locked/hidden doors. I know that some classes can help a player pass through them easier, but how would a Munchkin be prevented altogether from passing them?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Rudkin

I would just like to add that Line of Sight (which appears on some cards in Looking For Trouble) is blocked by (any) doors, but not by open passages.

~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbstarrunner View Post
How could a Munchkin not get through a Hidden or Locked door? I don't remember seeing anything in the rules saying they were prohibited/blinded to either locked/hidden doors. I know that some classes can help a player pass through them easier, but how would a Munchkin be prevented altogether from passing them?
Because they require more than just 1 move to go through, it slows you down and may prevent you from passing through this turn:

For example, I've already spent 1 of my 3 move to enter the Hall of Mirrors, which turns all of its links into Hidden Doors. I only have 2 move left to leave the room, but I require 3. I am now stuck in this room for the rest of my turn, unless I find some way of getting extra move (or I run away from a monster). Next turn I will be able to leave, but it will require all 3 of my move (meaning I won't be doing much else other than walking into the next room and maybe fighting a monster if it is there).

~~~~
Curse! Gigantification prevents you from going through any link that isn't an open hallway. That is one way that you would be prevented from going through doors (hidden, locked or otherwise).
Rudkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
hobbstarrunner

Thanks everyone. I figured there would be in-game cards/tiles that made the door specifications important. I was mainly worried there was some rule I was overlooking like non-Wizards not being able to see Hidden doors or something to that effect.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
worms919

Also, you can always spend all of your movement to go through any link (besides a wall) This is your TOTAL MOVEMENT for the whole turn, not what you have left. If you start your turn in a room surrounded by locked doors and you only have two move, you can spend them to leave. If you start in the same room with three move, and spend one to search, you may not use the other two to leave.
worms919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Quaff_fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by worms919 View Post
Also, you can always spend all of your movement to go through any link (besides a wall) .
Also note, this rule is important if you are using Faster play rules, were everyone starts with only 2 moves per turn.

Pat

Learn more about Links here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=47459

Last edited by Quaff_fu; 12-30-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Quaff_fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
hobbstarrunner

Hey everybody! Finally got around to playing the game a couple nights ago (and then again the following morning)...it was great! The learning curve is a bit steep, but once we grasped the rules, we were hooked. The door issues made more sense in the heat of things, as I expected. Thanks for some of these heads-up tips.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
unholyjeti

I had the same kind of question about the door links, the dwarf card says that he may treat secret doors as normal, so if he can do that shouldn't it make locked doors and secret doors special somehow?
unholyjeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholyjeti View Post
I had the same kind of question about the door links, the dwarf card says that he may treat secret doors as normal, so if he can do that shouldn't it make locked doors and secret doors special somehow?
What do you mean? They cost more Move to go through, which is different than normal doors, and Monsters can't go through them, which is different than normal doors. Wouldn't "different" be enough to consider them "special"?
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote