Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-11-2021, 10:05 AM   #11
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Weak infravision for half-orcs and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Obviously, Infravision is hosed against the occasional rare foe like a golem or skeleton ranged combatant that has been sitting around the same spot in the dungeon forever. But that's a small weakness next to Night Vision's total inability to cope with total darkness, which is a downright common issue in the dungeon.
This makes sense, though the traits don't seem to be priced that way—Night Vision 9 only costs one point less than Infravision. My assumption is that these traits were priced on the basis that while total darkness might be common in a sense, light sources are fairly easy to come by—whether you have some fancy hands-free gadget, a henchthing carrying a torch, or use magic (from the obvious Light and Darkness spells to continuously-maintained 1 FP fire spells).

And to be clear, the problem I'm trying to solve is just that it seems unintuitive that a human / Infravision-haver half-breed would have Night Vision 5 as written. I assume this was done to avoid too much complexity, which is fine, what I want to know is what a good solution would be if you're tolerating a bit of complexity.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Shrug.

At some point, it might just be simpler to say "Strong dungeon-sight is what GURPS calls Dark Vision [25], which eliminates the full -10 for total darkness. Weak dungeon-sight is Night Vision 5 [5], which eliminates half the penalty but always requires at least some light." Then notice that these should cost 10 and 5 points for the penalty eliminated, but that the 25-point version has a 15-point premium for "works even without any light" which is priced on a par with See Invisible [15], because it changes "can't see" to "can see" under certain circumstances.

I wouldn't call it more complicated. I'd just call it expensive if PCs will ever have Dark Vision. If they won't, you don't really care.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
Anthony

You can make it closer by changing the pricing of night vision to [2]. Low levels of night vision are actually amazingly powerful, so it's a reasonable deal even at [2].