Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
GuyMacon

Default Nightfall: Mission Eight

(Otherwise known as "How long does it take you idiots to load a train? Don't you see what is coming at you?)

What initial mix of units works well? Where should they be positioned? I have tried all Mobile howitzers (a disaster) all GEVs (good once they get behind the Ogres, but in the end not enough firepower to stop them before they hit the train) all Heavy tanks (the big Ogre wiped them all out in the first two rounds) and four or five different balanced mixes, which came closest to winning for me, but still not enough.

Also, where to best place the infantry? The Ogres are too fast and the infantry gets in one or two hits and the just chases the Ogres without getting into range.

Finally. if I attack the treads of the big Ogre first, the weapons kill my forces too fast, but if I target the weapons first, it hits the train before I can slow it down.

As an aside, I am starting to realize that my buddies who have been playing the board game with me for years kind of suck compared to the AI in the computer game. Which implies that I suck too, because I am evenly matched with my buddies. :(
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Nightfall: Mission Eight

I don't see how you can lose this one. The AI just ignores the objective anyway.

Anyway, I, as usual, took GEVs and heavy tanks only. I disarmed the Ogres before they got in range of the train and then the AI just kind of screwed around rather than try at all to win.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I did mostly HVY/GEV as well.

Destroying the road in town helps a lot, especially for slowing the reinforcements. Ogres can't move as fast through towns (2MP to enter)
Old 10-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
GuyMacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I did mostly HVY/GEV as well.

Destroying the road in town helps a lot, especially for slowing the reinforcements. Ogres can't move as fast through towns (2MP to enter)
Good tip! A handful of single infantry units running around and destroying the road they are on (100% kill chance) can do a lot of damage to the road structure.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
Good tip! A handful of single infantry units running around and destroying the road they are on (100% kill chance) can do a lot of damage to the road structure.
just remember that goes both ways. DOn't wreck the roads until you don't need them yourself ;-)
Old 10-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
GuyMacon

This scenario is still kicking my *** four out of five times. What initial deployment works well?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I disarmed the Ogres before they got in range of the train and then the AI just kind of screwed around rather than try at all to win.
Yep. I just got to watch a Mk V go around the train. Even if the train was immune to AP it should've been rammed.

(This was my 2nd try. First time I stopped the Ogre out of reach of the train, was sloppier this time.)
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
ianargent

Having just replayed the broadcast center mission, it's amazing what tearing up the road net and taking the Ogres down to 2MP fast does to, well, hobble the Ogres. A 2MP Ogre can no longer outrun infantry and MSLs, and if it stops to range on them it just gives the rest of your forces more time to arrange themselves.

Alternatively, if you can stack a lot of INF in a city hex that the Ogre must pass through, that will put a smack down on the Ogre.
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
pinbot

If you just move some units up to range 7 from the ogres (where it can't reach with main guns) they won't approach. If one happens to be in howitzer range you can whittle it down while you wait for the train to load. Eventually it's ready and you can cruise out of town. It was terribly boring. I'm glad to hear the ai did something entertaining for other people.
pinbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Yep. I just got to watch a Mk V go around the train. Even if the train was immune to AP it should've been rammed.
I think this is an artifact of one of the changes made that backfired. Under the notes on the differences between the boardgame and the PC game, they mention not allowing units to be On the tracks at the same time as the train. It might be that applies to the Ogres, too. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbot View Post
If you just move some units up to range 7 from the ogres (where it can't reach with main guns) they won't approach. If one happens to be in howitzer range you can whittle it down while you wait for the train to load. Eventually it's ready and you can cruise out of town. It was terribly boring. I'm glad to hear the ai did something entertaining for other people.
That's a particularly odd behavior. Can you do that with any units, or do they have to be a specific type?