Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Multiplayer Turn Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Ranked play doesn't seem to support ansync (which is a feature, IMO). The time limit is 30 minutes.
30 minutes per what?

...When I saw the timer, it started at an hour at the start of the game and just counted down from there, regardless of whose turn it was. It may do something different now that would clarify what you're referring to, but I haven't been able to get a match to see it.

Ranked play does support asynchronous play - I closed the match and maybe even restarted the game between taking turns. It may be closely timed, though the fact that I don't know and don't know how I'd find out is concerning.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
30 minutes per what?
Per turn I thought.
Quote:
...When I saw the timer, it started at an hour at the start of the game and just counted down from there, regardless of whose turn it was. It may do something different now that would clarify what you're referring to, but I haven't been able to get a match to see it.
Weird, because it really seemed to be 30 minutes per turn, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I really didn't notice it until the other guy stopped playing.

Quote:
Ranked play does support asynchronous play - I closed the match and maybe even restarted the game between taking turns. It may be closely timed, though the fact that I don't know and don't know how I'd find out is concerning.
If they really want to support asynchronous play they probably ought to allow offline automatic acceptance of games, multiple ongoing games, and probably not have a timer of less than 24 hours (also the timer probably ought to just skip your turn rather than auto-lose).

I assumed it didn't allow it because it has a scare dialog when you exit to main menu. This could be a lot clearer.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Weird, because it really seemed to be 30 minutes per turn, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I really didn't notice it until the other guy stopped playing.
As I said, it could have changed between our observations - and definitely did if you saw it reset at the start of each turn.
Quote:
If they really want to support asynchronous play they probably ought to allow offline automatic acceptance of games, multiple ongoing games, and probably not have a timer of less than 24 hours (also the timer probably ought to just skip your turn rather than auto-lose).
Granted I'm not going to say it supports asynchronous play especially well...
Quote:
I assumed it didn't allow it because it has a scare dialog when you exit to main menu. This could be a lot clearer.
I don't remember that, but that also could be new or just something I forgot. I can definitely say that at the time I played it I could exit to the menu (probably to the desktop even) and then go back to the match.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #14
AurochJake

Quote:
You're definitely allowed multiple games at once! That was a big part of why we went for asynchronous play.

As for the turn timer, this should just end your turn, you shouldn't lose the game. Is this the behaviour you're seeing at the moment?

Thanks
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
You're definitely allowed multiple games at once! That was a big part of why we went for asynchronous play.
Then the scare-dialog that you get asking you to confirm going to main menu ought to clearly state this, otherwise it really currently seems to be implying that would end the game.
Quote:
As for the turn timer, this should just end your turn, you shouldn't lose the game. Is this the behaviour you're seeing at the moment?
No, as I said the Timer timed out, then went negative, then I gave up waiting for the other player and quit to main menu, and the record showed that I won the game.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #16
AurochJake

Quote:
Then the scare-dialog that you get asking you to confirm going to main menu ought to clearly state this, otherwise it really currently seems to be implying that would end the game.
No, as I said the Timer timed out, then went negative, then I gave up waiting for the other player and quit to main menu, and the record showed that I won the game.
Thanks for the additional information here - I have logged the turn timer issue as a bug to be verified and fixed.

By the 'scare-dialog', do you mean the confirmation popup? The one that currently says 'Are you sure you want to return to the Main Menu/Desktop?'. Agree that this isn't very clear that you A) can play other games at the same time and B) will be able to return to this game.

We'll look at making this clearer.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! :)
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
By the 'scare-dialog', do you mean the confirmation popup? The one that currently says 'Are you sure you want to return to the Main Menu/Desktop?'. Agree that this isn't very clear that you A) can play other games at the same time and B) will be able to return to this game.
Yes, that is what I am talking about. It is definitely worded like a thing that I don't want to do, like "Are you sure you want to delete your system drivers?"