Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default [Fantasy] 100+-point pre-gens, 50 point lenses

I intend on running in a very dungeon fantasy-like manner, but leaning more towards being very lenient with monster behavior and loot while setting the nominal point total lower than normal.

So I'd like some help fleshing out some pre-gens for my players to choose from; some have never played a traditional RPG before so I don't want to overwhelm them with choices. So

- The only power modifier available to PCs at this point in my campaign design is Magic. Holy/clerical stuff also exists (in the form of Divine Favor and a small smattering of other Advantages), but chi doesn't and druidic doesn't.
- Regular arcane magic mostly follows the standard GURPS system, but with the flexible rituals option and the energy reductions being tied to relative skill rather than absolute skill (first reduction when the spell is known at IQ, second at IQ+3, third at IQ+6, and so on). Cost to cast and cost to maintain never drop below 1.
- Instead of the usual disadvantage limits, a hero is allowed to claim a maximum of -20 points from reduced attributes or secondary characteristics; must take either Code of Honor(Pirate's)[-5] or Sense of Duty(Party)[-5]; may claim up to a total of -25 points from Honesty, Pacifism, Phobias, Vows, Sense of Duty(larger group that includes the party), and physical disadvantages; and the usual limit of 5 allowed Quirks, the points for which may be claimed and spent after character creation rather than during.
- Combat skills are defined as Brawling, Karate, Shield, Knife, Sword, Two-Handed Sword, Hafted, Flail, Polearm, Spear, Innate Attack(no specialties), Throwing, Thrown(Knife, Axe, Boomerang, or Spear), and Bow. Many of these exist by merging existing skills and I don't feel comfortable grappling with the grappling rules.

I want each of my PC minis to have a defined 100 point "base" with most of the Disadvantages defined thereon, then a series of simple 50-point lenses (including races) which may be taken to customize the characters.

- Every character should have 4 points each in Brawling, Karate or Knife; another 4 points in Knife, Sword, Shield, Hafted, or Spear; another 4 points in Two-Handed Sword, Polearm, or Spear; and 4 points in Bow or a throwing weapon specialty for a total of 16 points. Anyone who knows flexible weapons does so in addition to this culturally required universal training, and only dedicated warriors strictly need to learn shields. And yes, a warrior can claim "spear" as both his one- and two-handed melee skill, or Knife as both his close combat and one-handed melee skill, by putting 8 points in it.
- Every character should also have at least one point in First-Aid, Hiking, Climbing, Stealth, and Scrounging. This leaves us with a total of 21 required points in skills before touching the characters' niches beyond this.
- Everyone has Night Vision 3[3] because most adventuring tasks are done under torchlight. So that's 24/100 points with mandatory spending constraints and -5 in mandatory disadvantages; everything else is pretty flexible.

Characters:
- Knight in mail
- Male barbarian (no Gigantism)
- Female barbarian (no Gigantism)
- Blue-clad ranger man

- Red-robed wizard, looks to be on the young side and could pass for a swashbuckler
- Brown-robed wizard, definitely getting on in years (druidic or monastically themed spell list feels appropriate)
- Princess in pink; I was thinking healer-mage or bard

So for example on the princess character I might make the following base:
Code:
Princess
ST	8[-20]	HP	8[0]	SM	0
DX	11[20]	Per	12[0]	
IQ	12[40]	Will	12[0]	Speed	6.00[15]
HT	10[0]	FP	10[0]	Move	6

Advantages
Ambidexterity[5], Combat Reflexes[15], Dual-Weapon Training(Knife)[5], Magery 2[25], Night Vision 3[3].

Disadvantages
Phobia(Snakes)(12)[-5], Phobia(Spiders)(12)[-5], Sense of Duty(All Civilized Races)[-15]

Skills
Knife(DX+3)[8]-14
Spear(DX+1)[4]-12
Thrown Weapon(Knife)(DX+2)[4]-13
Climbing(DX-1)[1]-10
Hiking(HT-1)[1]-9
Stealth(DX-1)[1]-10
Scrounging(Per)[1]-12
If I'm doing my math right, I'm pretty sure she's at 104 points right now, with 10 points of Disadvantages as yet undefined and 6 points that could be put into spells for filling out a niche. This makes me think I set the base too low at a glance and should raise it to 125 instead, but keep the lenses at 50 points.

As far as races go, they should be by what sets them apart physically, not culturally. That's what cultural lenses are for (I'm just not allowing the cultures other than the one that requires everyone to have 16 points in combat skills and 5 points in other dungeon delving skills yet). For example:
Code:
Catman (50)
Attributes DX+1[20]
Advantages Acute Hearing 3[6], Acute Taste/Smell 1[2], Catfall[10], Flexible[5], Fur[1], Sharp Claws[5], Sharp Teeth[1]

Wolfman (50)
Attributes ST+1[10], HT+1[10]
Advantages Acute Hearing 3[6], Blunt Claws[3], Damage Resistance 1[5], Discriminatory Smell[15], Sharp Teeth[1]

Gnole (50)
Attributes ST+5[50], DX-1[-20]
Advantages Blunt Claws[3], Damage Resistance 2[10], Sharp Teeth[1], Striking ST 2(Bite Only)[6]
Features SM+1. Males and females difficult to distinguish.

Mouseling (50)
Attributes ST-2[-20], DX+1[20], Per+2[10]
Advantages Flexible[5], Fur[1] High Manual Dexterity 2[10], Silence 2[10], Sharp Teeth[1], Huge Weapons(SM) 2[2], Immune to Scorpion Venom[1]
[/b]Features[/b] SM-2
I kinda want other lenses like "is also a swashbuckler" to work similarly on top of character bases.