Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Comrade_Frog

Default Re: I think I'm missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Are you maybe looking for the Optional Rule: Modifying Dice + Adds box on B269? If you're adding large amounts, it allows you to convert a +4 to 1d, a +7 to 2d. Or are you trying to go the the other way? You might want to look at Partial Dice for Innate Attack, B62.
No, I'm trying to figure out when I should go with a higher d amount with a minus instead of a lower amount with a plus.
Comrade_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade_Frog
No, I'm trying to figure out when I should go with a higher d amount with a minus instead of a lower amount with a plus.
I'd say just go by the Damage Table, B16, and the progression there (which is pretty much the same as +4 equaling an additional die). It goes:

xd
xd+1
xd+2
(x+1)d-1
(x+1)d
...and so on. In other words:

+1 +1
+2 +2
+3 +1d-1
+4 +1d
+5 +1d+1
+6 +1d+2
+7 +2d-1 (although this goes against the +7 being a full 2d under the other rule)

Or combine the two. Any +4 is +1d; any +7 is +2d. For any leftover adds, +1 and +2 are simple adds, and +3 is the next die-1. So, say you had some extreme number of dice+adds like 60d+60; to turn this into mostly dice, you divide the 60 by 7, getting an additional 8x2 = 16 dice. There's 4 left over, which becomes one additional die, so you can roll a total of 78d.

You might want to go to D-scale, round this to 8d in D-scale, or as GM you could certainly just say that the attack pretty much always does its average damage of 270 (60d does average of 210, plus 60) or 273 (78d does average 273), and not bother rolling at all. Or any combination that makes things easier.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
Huh. Where is that? In High-Tech?
A couple of places in High-Tech there are options that increase or decrease damage by (for example) 10%. The only real way to do this is to convert the original weapon damage to averages, apply all modifiers, and then convert back to dice.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
A couple of places in High-Tech there are options that increase or decrease damage by (for example) 10%. The only real way to do this is to convert the original weapon damage to averages, apply all modifiers, and then convert back to dice.
I'd think you could roll damage, add 10%, round (down, probably), and apply that damage to the target. But I suppose it'd be a pain to do that every time.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno

Which is why there's an Adjusting Damage box on p. 166 of High-Tech that, on reading, doesn't appear to omit any corner cases. I'm curious to know what part of that box isn't clear.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #16
Comrade_Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Which is why there's an Adjusting Damage box on p. 166 of High-Tech that, on reading, doesn't appear to omit any corner cases. I'm curious to know what part of that box isn't clear.
Nothing isn't really clear. It just seems that there's no case where a negative adds are needed, so I was curious how I should determine when I need to apply them.

Last edited by Comrade_Frog; 11-21-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Comrade_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade_Frog
Can someone explain to me how damage dice are calculated off average damage? I can understand that damage rating is equal to the number of times the average damage divides by 3.5, but what determines when I add +x and -y?
The fraction determines what/when you add +ve or -ve.

Do you have High-Tech? If not, as Vitruvian said, B16 is a good guideline.

e.g. if I created a device doing an average of 47 damage; I'd divide 47 by 3.5 for the number of dice and get 13.42####. So, 13d plus something. 0.42 x 3.5 is 1.47, call it +1: 47 = 13d+1.
Or damage 48; /3.5 = 13.71####. 0.71 x 3.5 is +2.5; that's 1 less than the average for a full die, so 48 = 14d-1.

The box Kromm pointed out, at HT166, makes it easier by listing what a fraction equates to. It also covers damage under 1d and over 12d but B16 is okay if you feel do not need HT.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifying dice + adds