Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
FourDeuces

Default Question about PDF files on e23

Hey guys,

I have recently become aware of Car Wars, and have purchased a few of the pdf starter packs that have been recently released on e23. Absolutely love the game! My son, nephew, and brother-in-law have spent a couple of evenings getting our geek on already, and have had a BLAST!

The question I have is around the use of the turning key provided to execute a Drift maneuver. The length of the car is 2 inches, and that fits great in 2 line segments on the long arm of the key. The width, though, doesn't seem to fit exactly into the shorter lines on the short arm of the key. So when I do a drift, it appears that the D1 slides to the side more than the one half car width depicted in the rules, and the D3 flavor slides almost 2 car widths. Is this by design, or am I misinterpreting some thing?

Thanks,
Mike.
FourDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Parody

Default Re: Question about PDF files on e23

This is covered in the CW5 FAQ on the SJG Car Wars page:
Quote:
Q. The text says a Drift moves a vehicle ¾" to the "D1" label. This works fine for the Luxury sized cars, like the diagram shows, but what about smaller cars? Should they move ¾" or to the D1 label?
A. Smaller cars actually move more than ¾" when they Drift. The leading edge of the vehicle should line up with the D1 mark for a normal Drift, or the D3 for a Steep Drift. All vehicles must move forward 3", then slide to the side. Vehicles moving less than 30 mph (or 3" per phase) may not perform a Drift maneuver.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
FourDeuces

Thank you, I never knew about the FAQ. Being a Munchkin fan first, which has introduced me to Ogre and Car Wars, I should have known there would be an FAQ... <hangs head in shame>

I am sure I will be back with more questions as we progress :)
FourDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
LokRobster

Welcome to CarWars, Mike!

As you can see, people are quick to offer answers and suggestions around here. I for one would be glad to hear more about you and your friends' experiences with CW - especially as being new and apparently self-taught!

It's great that y'all are having fun driving fast and blowing stuff up - Drive Offensively!