Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Blue Ghost

Default Chat feature?

I just finished off my first game against Karl Gallagher, but I couldn't call up the text chat feature. I could have sworn I hit it accidentally while in SP mode. He trounced my infantry mobile howitzer force with his mark IV. I wanted to "gg" him and also let him know that I was actually trying to deploy Super heavies, but I guess I mis-clicked and didn't double check the units I put on the map.

A decent match up. It's early 1980's Fridays all over again. I just need some rocking 80s music in the background.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
selenite

Default Re: Chat feature?

Hi, Blue. I'm up for a rematch against SHVYs some time. They'd probably do better. Thanks for a fun game.

I hadn't realized there was a chat function in Ogre, or is it a Steam feature?
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
Blue Ghost

I'll check back this Friday. There seems to be no one on at all any time I log in. It makes me think my Steam access is being shunted somehow.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

There is no in-game chat; it's all the built-in Steam stuff.

If you have someone listed as a friend on Steam already, you can see the listing of your friends and chat with them that way. If they are not a friend, there's no easy way to converse during a game with a stranger. It makes it hard to add new friends that you meet while playing. :-(
Old 03-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Blue Ghost

Well, this is almost the straw that breaks this camel's back, because I've had numerous negative experiences with Steam. Not really with Ogre in spite of its flaws, I actually have enjoyed playing it immensely. But with other games connected to Steam, it's just been a giant punk fest.

Hopefully chat will be added to Ogre along with all the fixes.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Well, this is almost the straw that breaks this camel's back, because I've had numerous negative experiences with Steam. Not really with Ogre in spite of its flaws, I actually have enjoyed playing it immensely. But with other games connected to Steam, it's just been a giant punk fest.

Hopefully chat will be added to Ogre along with all the fixes.
It's on our list of features we'd love to add - hopefully in a future update. We'll make an announcement if this is something we are able to do :)

Thanks!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
selenite

Even if there isn't an interactive chat it would be useful to have a single message option. Examples:

Set up while waiting for a match: "Hi, I'm AFK but I'll be making moves at least every twelve hours."

With a completed turn: "I have to go AFK for two hours after this turn."

Pre-set macro: "Dude, the dice hate you."
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
It's on our list of features we'd love to add - hopefully in a future update. We'll make an announcement if this is something we are able to do :)

Thanks!
Thanks Jake. I must have been confusing Ogre with some other game, but for the life of me I could have sworn I hit an ingame chat feature. Oh well.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Thanks Jake. I must have been confusing Ogre with some other game, but for the life of me I could have sworn I hit an ingame chat feature. Oh well.
You did. Right now, you can use the Shift-Tab to get to the various Steam windows; one of which is the chat window. It works well enough, but the problem is that works only with people you already know and have set up as friends.

There's currently nothing in the game (or in Steam) to easily chat with a random opponent. :-(