Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Pyramid #3/116: Locations

As the saying goes:
It's all about location!
(The rest is fine print.)
— from How to Sell Sushi
Coming up with "crunch" is hard – all those stats, all those rules! – but that's nothing compared to the effort needed to create a truly memorable backdrop for adventure. Engaging locations defy being turned into formulas and procedures. Fortunately, there are resources that help, like the GURPS Locations and GURPS Hot Spots series. But you can never have enough, which is why this month we bring you Pyramid #3/116: Locations, featuring:
Al-Phasmaq, the City of Ships
By Christopher R. Rice and J. Edward Tremlett
Low-tech cities, especially fantasy ones, tend to get a little cliché. Most are quasi-medieval walled towns with the usual gamut of guilds and services. The port of Al-Phasmaq has walls, but that's where the similarity ends – in fact, even those are a little different! With its mysteries and conspiracies, it's also more than just a stopping place . . . although it could become a resting place for adventurers who get too nosy.

Eidetic Memory: The Haunting of Film House
By David Pulver
Sinister old houses make great locations for GURPS Horror and GURPS Monster Hunters adventures – or for any campaign where the merely creepy can become terrifying in the flicker of a frame. Film House is no exception. And unlike a lot of "haunted houses," this one gets scarier over time, because the coroner might carry away the corpses, but they all leave a little something behind.

Croatoan Point
By Christopher R. Rice and J. Edward Tremlett
Once humanity ventures out among the stars, there will no longer be dangerous walled cities filled with itinerants – right? You wish! Well, at least science will displace superstition and talk of monsters, yes? Nope. As visitors to this spaceport on the galaxy's edge will discover, the universe is ancient and unfathomably large, and every question answered brings two new ones. Facehuggers are nothing compared to facestealers.

The Pharos Lighthouse
By Carolyn and Steve Stein
Sometimes it's nice to visit a location grounded in reality. The Pharos at Alexandria, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, is such a place. Here you'll merely face saboteurs, spies, smugglers, pirates, murderous treasure hunters, Evil Man Was Not Meant To Know (okay, I lied), and – worst of all – tourists. A spectacle so vast the eyes fail to comprehend it and words are inadequate to describe it is surely worth it.

As ever, the intrepid Steven Marsh opens and closes the festivities, his Random Thought Table providing a nifty way of looking at locations that can breathe life into anything from a bus stop to a city-state.
Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2716
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2716_preview.pdf
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
J. Edward Tremlett

Default Re: Pyramid #3/116: Locations

really looking forward to reading the Hill House and Pharos articles. They sound really cool and useful :)
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
doctorevilbrain

The preview PDF doesn't show anything.
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
SteamBub

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
The preview PDF doesn't show anything.
Might be working now, downloaded a few minutes ago and it was fine.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
doctorevilbrain

Nope. I only have trouble viewing PDFS on this website.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Steven Marsh

I'm not sure what to say . . . I've tried to download the preview on two different devices (a tablet and a desktop computer), on two different computer networks, and both times I've been successful.

If you want to send me an email, I can try to troubleshoot this . . . but — without more reports — it sounds like something specific to how your PDF-viewing option is interacting with our system, rather than anything more widespread.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:02 AM   #7
doctorevilbrain

I downloaded it again, and I didn't see anything, then I saw something on tv and the PDF appeared. I guess I had to wait. The screen was white before the image appeared, then it was white after I moved the screen back up to read something after I had read it. I don't know why the writing disappeared.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
I downloaded it again, and I didn't see anything, then I saw something on tv and the PDF appeared. I guess I had to wait. The screen was white before the image appeared, then it was white after I moved the screen back up to read something after I had read it. I don't know why the writing disappeared.
That sounds like a rendering issue, you ight have a memory issue. Try restarting the computer and opening it up before you do anything else.
Also see if there is an update for the PDF reader your using.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Rasputin

Question: does anyone have any random tables or lists for quickly generating quirks, perks, and features for locations (p. 39 in the Random Though Table)? I found this to be a fascinating idea, but am pinched for ideas to keep from repeating the same ones over and over again.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote