Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default Damaging Hyper-Dense Metal Weapons

Hey, how would you rate the DR and HP of a Broadsword made of Hyper-Dense Metal?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Damaging Hyper-Dense Metal Weapons

Calculate HP by mass, as for all other weapons? Not as sure about DR.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Ottriman

The RAW answer is simply to increase its hp based on increased wiehgt and the formula for increasing hp of objects by mass in Campaigns. RAW does not change its DR at all.

I myself rule that they have 10xDr myself because it only makes sense for the super materials involved but htat is a house rule.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Isn't DR more or less linear with density? So just maybe just increase the DR of a steel sword by the same factor that increases weight?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
LoneWolf23k

I have my book open right now, and it doesn't specificy how to calculate DR. I just assume that for a basic broadsword, I use the DR for a 1 inch steel bar, then multiply that by the 1.5 multiplier for Hyper-Dense metal?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
McAllister

On the one hand, it doesn't make sense to me that objects use the same "HP covered by DR" method that people do: it makes sense for an axe to cut through a person's armor and then inflict injury after that, but less so for it to cut through a steel shield's DR and then inflict injury. DR is based on thickness, but if penetrating DR is representative of cutting through the whole object, how come I can't cut halfway through it after I penetrate half the DR? What I'm thinking is, each inch of steel offers resistance. It makes more sense to give objects IT:DR proportional to their hardness.

There's also the matter of minimum damage, though. If all objects had was IT:DR, a person could kick their way out of a jail cell, and that's just not right. So they way I'd probably go is to give objects a combination of flat DR (not based on thickness) and IT:DR. Brittle things like glass, high DR, low/no IT:DR; cloth would be more likely to have low/no DR, but a pretty good IT:DR factor.

How does this work for your hyperdense sword? Can't say I know for sure, but I recommend some factor of IT:DR.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
Bruno

Shield and armor DR as provided to the wearer is "cover DR", not simple DR. Humans provide "cover DR" too, based on their own DR (zero) and the blowthrough limit on their HP.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 PM   #8
The_Ryujin

Assuming that a good quality sword is made out of high hardness steel and has DR6, a hyper dense sword would be 23.9× stronger for a DR of 143.

Of course this is assuming that that whole sword is made out of hyper dense. From as far as I can tell the hyper dense options only givens a weapons an edge made out of hyper dense so most of the sword is probably still just DR 6.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:17 AM   #9
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Shield and armor DR as provided to the wearer is "cover DR", not simple DR. Humans provide "cover DR" too, based on their own DR (zero) and the blowthrough limit on their HP.
My magical girl would like to have a word with you. She's got DR 10. Okay, she's got magical powers, but she's still a human. :P
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:36 AM   #10
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Okay, she's got magical powers, but she's still a human. :P
That's what they want you to think!
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote