Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Darkness of the Self

I am thinking of using a Corruption mechanic in my next campaign, but it is different than the previous Corruption mechanics that I have used in my previous campaigns because it does not focus on magic. I call the mechanic the Darkness of the Self because it is a universal form of Corruption that anyone can use, without any special positive trait, just a willingness to accept the consequences. I would like your opinions on the mechanic and how it compares to Corruption mechanics that you have used in your games.

When a character accesses the Darkness of the Self, they may accept Corruption in order to manifest 5 CP worth of positive traits for one minute (or to ignore 5 CP worth of negative traits for one minute) per Corruption accepted (up to a maximum of [Will] Corruption per minute). When they reach 125 points of Corruption, they gain 5 CP worth of negative traits of the GM's choice but reduce their Corruption to 0. They may reduce their Corruption by one-quarter of a Corruption for every day that they do not use Corruption, by one Corruption per day of penance and purification, or by four Corruption per day of fasting and flagallation. Unlike other Corruption mechanics, meritorious acts or self-sacrifice does not reduce Corruption.

Characters may only accept Corruption to manifest positive traits that they could normally purchase with CP. In order to manifest exotic or supernatural abilities, characters must already possess the appropriate Power Talents. In order to manifest cinematic skills or spells, characters must already possess the appropriate advantage. For example, a character with Will 10 could accept 10 Corruption to gain +5 ST for one minute but could not manifest +10 Striking ST for one minute unless they possessed the appropriate Power Talent or manifest Power Blow-21 for one minute unless they already possessed the appropriate cinematic advantages.

So, what do you think? Would you use a similar Corruption mechanic, or do you think it gives characters too much power? How does it compare to Corruption mechanics that you have experienced or used in your games?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Darkness of the Self

What's the basis in the setting metaphysics for this? Why are characters able to gain abilities in this way?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Sentient creatures are capable of tapping into the dark side of their spiritual natures in order to temporarily improve their capabilities. Corruption is the cost of exceeding the limits of the self and begins the process of the darkening of the self. While the majority of creatures are not consciously aware of the darkening of the self, they all instinctively reach for it when failure is not an option.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:49 AM   #4
RogerBW

In game mechanical terms, this looks a lot like Modular Abilities with a bunch of limitations on it. I'd be inclined to price it up (as a campaign-required power) and see how many points it ended up as to get an idea of its likely effect on the game.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

It is hardly a campaign required advantage when every sentient creature possesses it. It is a campaign feature because it is derived from the existing Corruption rules in Horror and advantages no one in existence. It just gives every sentient creature in existence extra options.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

You missed that last bit of what he wrote.
Price it up to see how powerful of an ability it is to gain an idea of how much effect it's likely to have on the game.
The exact number doesn't matter for the reason you said. But if in the end it's around 500 points rather than 30, then it's going to have a larger effect than you may want.