Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
FF_Ninja

Default Tips for avoiding skill bloat; Pro skills

Starting a new criminal empire building campaign this Sunday, and I'm helping players build their very first GURPS characters. It's going pretty smoothly, but I'm a bit at a loss when it comes to skills.

With how GURPS handles skills, I'm used to there being a lot of skill bloat (and much of that being fat) and skill malnutrition. In Case A, players get a whole butt-load of 1-point skills for cheap, falling into the "I want dis" mentality. In Case B on the other hand, players have a hard time determining how to properly spend points on skills in order to make a fully fleshed-out character experience.

Anyone have some advice or a guide for properly and realistically choosing skills for a character without putting too much meta into it?

ALSO:

Professional skills. When does one roll vs a pro skill, instead of a normal skill? Example: One of my characters wants to be a cop, so that's Pro: Law Enforcement. But how would that work? Would it replace or overlap with other skills? I think I know how to work with overlap (synergy bonuses are a nice method), but I could use a hard and fast guideline of when to use a Pro skill vs. a normal skill, if both are applicable in theory.

Thanks again, guys!
FF_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Tips for avoiding skill bloat; Pro skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Ninja View Post
Anyone have some advice or a guide for properly and realistically choosing skills for a character without putting too much meta into it?
My advice would be to curate the skill list heavily. Go through the list, pick the skills you're sure will come up, figure out the context they'll come up in and their frequency, and present that to the players as the list to pick from. Let players buy a couple of skills not on this list for flavour if they want, but restrict that. Then, keep that list handy, and when running, make sure you're calling for rolls from the list, not off it. If the campaign changes direction so totally that a new skill is actually appropriate, feel free to add it to the list, but if it's just a matter of you forgot to include a skill that really should have been on there in the first place, it's better to just fudge it and use a skill that's already on the list.

So, for example, your criminal empire building list would probably contain skills like Savoir-Faire (Mafia), Finance, Criminology, Intimidation, various Guns skills, and so forth. If you find later that you forgot to add Accounting, you should really just let the characters with Finance roll that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Ninja
Professional skills. When does one roll vs a pro skill, instead of a normal skill? Example: One of my characters wants to be a cop, so that's Pro: Law Enforcement. But how would that work? Would it replace or overlap with other skills? I think I know how to work with overlap (synergy bonuses are a nice method), but I could use a hard and fast guideline of when to use a Pro skill vs. a normal skill, if both are applicable in theory.
Soldier is actually an excellent example of a Professional Skill, so I'd use it as a model. It can replace several other skills, if the other skills would be regularly used in the field, and would gain a +4 task difficulty modifier in regular use. So Soldier can be used to operate a radio (Electronics Operation (Communication)), drive a jeep across the base (Drive (Automobile)), hike over a prepared, known course (Hiking), and do basic drill and salute the right people (Savoir-Faire (Military)).

Similarly, I'd allow Professional Skill (Police Officer) to substitute for using the radio in your squad car, maintaining your service weapon (Armoury (Small Arms), perform an interrogation when you've got the perp in custody and evidence in hand (Interrogation), fill out the forms for arresting someone (Administration), or know how to properly arrest someone, with Miranda rights and so forth, so it holds up in court (Law (Police)).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
My advice would be to curate the skill list heavily.
This^. Make the decisions simple for the players. Templates are a good example, and a good way to do it. Lists are just as useful. Either way, the more you guide them the better their PCs will be for your game. And as Kelly said, Professional Skills should be used if skill bloat is an issue. PS: Private Eye, PS:Mobster, etc. are just as useful for PC building as a list of skills like Streetwise, Shadowing, Detect Lies, etc. if the skill rolls are +4 TDM. They are like mini-Bang! skills.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Dustin

Collapsing some of the skills can help, but you'd need to make a list, or borrow someone else's list, of reduced skills.
  • Stealth could include Shadowing
  • Guns (Longarm) to include both Rifle and Shotgun
  • Sleight of Hand includes Pickpocket and Filch

I also often allow players to keep 3-5 pts reserved and unspent to spend on "oops, my character should know X" skills in the first few sessions. This helps reduce the pressure to get everything perfect, which is hard for a skill set on modern characters, and nearly impossible in higher tech settings.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Gnome

GURPS Skill Categories is a free resource that I have found helpful. I also recommend GURPS Template Toolkit 1: Characters, even if you're not planning on using templates. One chapter of that pdf categorizes the skill list into "niches."
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
[*]Stealth could include Shadowing
I split Shadowing between Stealth and Observation, and basically dump the skill entirely.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I split Shadowing between Stealth and Observation, and basically dump the skill entirely.
And I merge Observation, Search, and a few others together as a single skill called Investigation.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
And I merge Observation, Search, and a few others together as a single skill called Investigation.
There really is a big difference between watching people unobtrusively and noting the details (Observation), and tossing a room for the hidden stash (Search).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #9
thomas9059

This post is helpful. Thanks for your share!
thomas9059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Ninja View Post
I don't think there is one answer for this question because there are different schools in how to think about skills in GURPS.

Some GMs prefer the PCs have few skills (5-10) at lower skill levels (12 being for their best skills) and do most things off of default. Other GMs prefer the PCs have more skills at higher levels.

Generally, I think, as a GM, you need to decide what you want the character sheet to look like. What you think of as bloat might be normal to me--or vice-versa. Once you know what you want the character sheet to look like (in terms of how many skills, what level, how high attributes are, etc), I think you should probably do 2 things: 1) determine how many starting cp are more likely to result in what you imagine and choose that amount and 2) tell your players what your norms are for the way you run campaigns.

If you don't want player have skills above a level 12 and want most skills off of default..tell them. If you imagine that most PCs will have at most 10cp in skills...tell them. If you only expect them to put points in adventure related skills...tell them. If on the other hand you expect them to put cp in skills that may never come up in game because it creates a well rounded character, tell them that.

Because GURPS can be so many things, I think it is really important to have a conversation with the players so they know what the expectations are in your particular way of running GURPS.

That said, all of that done, I don't curate the list of skills for my players. Rather I just have a conversation with them about their character concept. They tell me what sort of character they want to play, and I say...well, these skills seem to fit with that concept. If they do want to look at a list of skills, I let them look at the the GURPS Skill Categories PDF, which lists skills down by category, so if they are looking to be a Thief, they can just look over the Theif category. http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...ill-categories
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
professional skills, skill bloat, skills