Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Refplaces GURPS Landing Page

This blog revisits an old site I had and additional ideas.
The primary purpose is to help make GURPS easier to get into.
Most of the content will be gathered into pages such as the ones below.
My GURPS FAQ
GURPS Books suggestions by Genre
GURPS Settings
GURPS Monsters, NPCs and things that make life interesting!
GURPS GM Tips

All linked from the home page
I may add personal material such as settings but the key focus will be to promote GURPS and helping those new to the system. We have plenty of great blogs for the experienced users.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Refplaces GURPS Landing Page

Added a brief discussion on GURPS Magic Systems that lists most of the material and gives it a very high level overview.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Refplace

Put up The Lantern Guild which is the major magical guild for the human portion of my high fantasy world.
The blog post gives an overview of such a guild, it was created many years ago and updated over time, though there may still be some legacy artifacts needing attention.
I have more details for each of the sub guilds but they need a lot of cleanup and editing for view by anyone other than myself.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
Emerald Cat

Refplace, could you please include links to the actual articles in future posts? Bloggers typically include links to their articles when they post here. Your blog is organized so that it is reasonable to find a given article based on the date. But having links in the GURPS forum posts would be nice.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
Refplace, could you please include links to the actual articles in future posts? Bloggers typically include links to their articles when they post here. Your blog is organized so that it is reasonable to find a given article based on the date. But having links in the GURPS forum posts would be nice.
Good advice, I have a question on that for you.
I am posting some content as its own webpage as well as a blog post.
Would it be better to just post the page and leave the blog entry as just a short note? Or is clicking the extra link something people find annoying enough I should continue to duplicate?
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Good advice, I have a question on that for you.
I am posting some content as its own webpage as well as a blog post.
Would it be better to just post the page and leave the blog entry as just a short note? Or is clicking the extra link something people find annoying enough I should continue to duplicate?
You're posting content on a separate webpage? I didn't know that. Personally, I would put everything on one webpage to make things easy to find. If you're going to post on separate webpages, you should add links on your blog so that people can find them. Including a link to the homepage for that separate webpage.

One issue is that the link in your sig directs people to your GURPS Landing Place Tab instead of your Home Tab. Your Home Tab shows your latest articles while your Landing Place Tab doesn't. Directing people to your Home Tab would make it easier for people to find recent articles.

You should also include direct links to specific articles on your blog so that people who come across this thread years in the future can easily find them. When you post GURPS content to your other webpage(s), I'd suggest posting a direct link on both your blog and this thread.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
You're posting content on a separate webpage? I didn't know that. Personally, I would put everything on one webpage to make things easy to find. If you're going to post on separate webpages, you should add links on your blog so that people can find them. Including a link to the homepage for that separate webpage.
Thanks for the feed back. I will wait a bit to see more responses but will be making changes based on your feedback.
My sig link goes to the Landing page so people can easily avoid the rest of the blog if they want to.
I want to maintain one blog because it is easier for me and my other sections are not huge draws but they do get views and if they attract anyone at all to GURPS its a win.

Quote:

One issue is that the link in your sig directs people to your GURPS Landing Place Tab instead of your Home Tab. Your Home Tab shows your latest articles while your Landing Place Tab doesn't. Directing people to your Home Tab would make it easier for people to find recent articles.

You should also include direct links to specific articles on your blog so that people who come across this thread years in the future can easily find them. When you post GURPS content to your other webpage(s), I'd suggest posting a direct link on both your blog and this thread.
I do have individual links to each page, most from the GURPS landing page in my sig link. Its organized by topic though so no way to easily see what is new.

GURPSDay posts are based on blog entries, I had to see how it worked today to confirm that.
So I will post a blog entry for new content with a short description and a link to the page where the content is.
I will shorten all blog posts so they are easier to scroll through and viewers can more easily see what they want and that only.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 04-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I do have individual links to each page, most from the GURPS landing page in my sig link. Its organized by topic though so no way to easily see what is new.

GURPSDay posts are based on blog entries, I had to see how it worked today to confirm that.
So I will post a blog entry for new content with a short description and a link to the page where the content is.
I will shorten all blog posts so they are easier to scroll through and viewers can more easily see what they want and that only.
The format of your blog and length of your blog posts are both fine. But I'd like to see links to specific posts in your announcements on this forum.

Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post is an example of what I like to see in a blog post announcement thread. Most of his posts are short announcements for his blog posts. In each announcement, he embeds direct links to the article.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
Refplace

Updates made to Lantern Guild and added Black Lantern (water) page

Lantern Guild Added description and details of the magic systems used. See the bottom of the page. Also linked to the Black Lantern Guild page. The Lantern page gives a description for a sample guild that is part of the local society and may be useful as an example.

Black Lanterns Added a page describing these water mages which includes several Path rituals. The new rituals are probably the most useful part of each individual guild.
I have all the individual Lantern Guilds made up for my setting but my personal notes includes details I need to cut out before publishing to the net.

I will update them all as time allows, probably in alphabetical order, though if anyone wants to see a specific guild write up I will bump that to the top.
Edited: Completed upload of all Lantern Guild types, everyone of which can be found from the Lantern Guild page above.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 04-07-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
Refplace

Added the People of The River for my Chalice World.
I have had these guys since GURPS Third Edition and they have undergone many updates, especially as I changed my Shamanic magic system around.
No one has actually played them but the current version would allow for a pretty balanced party at DF point totals.
However a River based campaign would likely be light on loot so is not right for everyone.

Made some minor changes to various GURPS Book reference pages (added the Social one as well).
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
blog, blogs