Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
Clinika

Default Questions about Artist and Professional skills

Hello.

Do you think that Artist (Fashion Design) and Artist (Holography) are valid specialties, or would they be better going under a different specialty such as Artist (Sculpting) for Holographics with an optional specialty "Light sculpting" or a different skill such as Sewing? (It amazes me that being an easy skill Sewing would allow a character to make its clothing and design it, and then I saw Professional Skill (Clothmaker) in Low-Tech but it says under page 46 that clothworker doesn’t necessarily make clothing out of the finished cloth).

And what about the Professional Skill specialties of "Perfumer", "Hairdresser" and "Childcare"? Are they correct? Should they have any defaults such as Chemistry?

Thank you.
Clinika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Imbicatus

Default Re: Questions about Artist and Professional skills

The answer is always whatever is appropriate for your game world. That said, it’s usually a group of skills that is needed.

To use your example in a modern campaign a successful trashing designer should probably have all three of Artist, Sewing, and Professional Skill. Artist (Fashion Design) would cover coming up with creative new designs. Sewing would be actually making the garments, which may or may not actually be done by the designer. Professional Skill(Fashion Design) would cover interacting with Fashion Magazines and protecting your IP, dealing with models and their agencies, and actually making money at it.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

I would call the Artist specialty Artist (Hgh Fashion) with the neccessary Professional skill to turn a book of designs into a collection to put on models at a show being Professional Skill (Fashion Production). The designer could have both or only the Artist with a business manager doing the practical stuff.

Making money off this is yet another skill, probably an appropriate Specilization of Merchant.

Artist (Holography) is fine.

Professional Skill (Childcare) does not normally default to Chemistry. :)
Old 07-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinika View Post
"Childcare"?
I just call that a specialty of Animal Handling...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:41 AM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I just call that a specialty of Animal Handling...
That depends a lot on the age of the child. They generally get mature enough for it to stop being a good fit, before they get mature enough for a skill accurately called 'Childcare' to no-longer be needed.

Of course, you may be joking.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
That depends a lot on the age of the child. They generally get mature enough for it to stop being a good fit, before they get mature enough for a skill accurately called 'Childcare' to no-longer be needed.

Of course, you may be joking.
While there is a lot of overlap, I think there's a fair amount of training-to-be-human in Childcare that you wouldn't find in Animal Handling.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote