Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 08-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #1241
David Johansen

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

I'm a big fan of new editions that fix a bit of errata, slap a new cover on it and call it done. Call it a new edition but don't break the game just to force people to buy it.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #1242
Alan Quartermain

So basically, GURPS is dead as a viable moneymaking title, then? I guess that means that any development of GURPS as a hardcopy product will depend on how much of the profits from other, profitable things (such as Munchkin) are able to be diverted to GURPS. Other than that, GURPS is going to be a pdf-only title.

Sad.
Alan Quartermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #1243
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Quartermain View Post
So basically, GURPS is dead as a viable moneymaking title, then?

...GURPS is going to be a pdf-only title.
These two things do not inevitably follow. It is not necessary for GURPS to be a print product line for GURPS to be profitable (aka "moneymaking").

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #1244
Ulairi

The Munchkin CCG seems to be dead too. Never made sense to me why they created it.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #1245
Terquem

Well, for my two cents worth, first I don't believe SJGames "created" the MCCG, more like they licensed the brand to another designer

Also, I've played it, like it, but don't see enough "unique fun" to make investing more into it an option. That, probably more than anything is an interesting aspect of the "new games" market today. You, a designer, can throw a project up on Kickstarter and with some good artwork, decent design elements, and a passible play experience, probably make a minor to major profit on your "sweat investment" and when large companies do the same the reward for the success of the kickstarter itself, even if the game is not a lasting product, can be worth the effort. Having multiple successful kickstarter projects can itself be a marketing element,
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #1246
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
So basically, GURPS is dead as a viable moneymaking title, then?
The GURPS line, last time anybody said anything about it, is still profitable. It looks like GURPS products which are both new and physical are not (though there continue to be rumblings on that front; there's offical talk of Kickstarting a DFRPG bestiary). However, that's been a small part of the overall GURPS line for years. Most of 4e has been PDF, and it looks like POD versions of existing titles sell well enough to justify the effort of continuing to send them to market. GURPS hardcovers may be dead (or, like Cthulhu, resting for aeons), but GURPS is still a money-making title.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #1247
Daigoro

Did this thread always have so many phantom pages at the end of it? My mouseover of the last page says there are 1352 posts.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #1248
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Did this thread always have so many phantom pages at the end of it? My mouseover of the last page says there are 1352 posts.
vBulletin is occasionally buggy. Just ignore it.

(And please confine discussions of possible bugs to Forum Feedback - it tends to derail discussions if you put them in-thread.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #1249
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

So basically, GURPS is dead as a viable moneymaking title, then? [...] Other than that, GURPS is going to be a pdf-only title.
The implication of those words seems to be that a pdf-only product line cannot be a viable moneymaker. That is incorrect. The shift to pdf was expressly to keep GURPS viable. While that decision might not have ushered in a new Golden Age of GURPS, it didn't kill the game, either. Characterizing GURPS as "dead" is to do it a disservice.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #1250
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The implication of those words seems to be that a pdf-only product line cannot be a viable moneymaker. That is incorrect. The shift to pdf was expressly to keep GURPS viable. While that decision might not have ushered in a new Golden Age of GURPS, it didn't kill the game, either. Characterizing GURPS as "dead" is to do it a disservice.
Quite.

Also, hardcopy is available right now for new stuff - in addition to a very large pool of both PDF and Print-on-Demand material - in the form of Hall of Judgment.

And three more titles to come in 2019, also hardcopy so long as the fan base supports them. The title of the first "The Citadel at Nordvorn" has been mentioned in several different places.

Hall of Judgment has been my most successful book to date in terms of reviews and profitability. I will keep making them as long as y'all keep buying them.

(Edited: I was not trying to say that the only print material is HoJ. It is, however, a 128-page, full color book supporting the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. I've added links to the DriveThru page for both PoD and PDF - but if you're buying PDF, buy it from W23 please)

Last edited by DouglasCole; 01-14-2019 at 02:43 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote