Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Adamant Azoth

Default Favourite/Required Choir/Band

I've been lurking in the archives for a while now since I recently found and re-read all my IN books. For me, reading an RPG always requires that I make a character so that I can work my way through the examples and even the flavour text. (Luckily, your PC is supposed to be a Mary Sue.)

I always seem to end up with a Lilim, which of course means that combat examples involve getting used to the retreat mechanics.... The idea of the Geas hook seems so marvelously sneaky and just full of Role-Playing opportunities.

On the Heavenly side, I'd love to try a Kyro, if I could work out how not to drown in the Dissonance mechanics from all of those serial amnesiacs -- in this day and age, no one can afford to lose thirty minutes, let alone a couple of days (but that subject has been chewed over in other threads).

I'd love to hear about other poeples favourite Bands/Choirs, and why; even better, tell a "No S--t, There I Was". Cheers!
Adamant Azoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Favourite/Required Choir/Band

From the main campaign I've played, there were two standout character designs.

First, Offamite of Destiny, with the Seraph attunement. The campaign is set in London, England, a vast city with a street plan that would be easier to learn if it had been designed to be confusing - the randomness of over a thousand years of fires and rebuilding beats any single design. Our Offamite knows how to get everywhere, and can do it fast. He also knows the true name of everyone he touches, and a surprising number of demons have names that are at best "unusual" for humans.

The other was the Malakite of Lightning, as the all-round technology demigod, with the Remote Control servitor attunement. Guns have safety catches. If they keep putting themselves back on ... things go poorly for that side.

The coolest thing anybody did, though, was to the ctredit of the Cherub of Creation IST Wind. As he explained it:

"Well, we had these papers. We didn't know if what they were describing was true, and our Seraph couldn't tell. But the local Triad (of Judgement) had been showing up regularly, because they're like that. But their seraphim are really good at detecting the truth. So I found them, and asked them to check, and it was! Of course, they got really suspicious about this."

"So, you honestly asked them for help, really wanting it, on a matter they'd approve of - but didn't tell them why?"

"They didn't ask. They just got really paranoid, boss."

Janus: "Good one, buddy."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Dalillama

I've been playing a Kyrio of Creation IST Flowers for quite a while now. My advice is twofold: 1) A human Servant is incredibly helpful, as are humans who can be trusted with the truth in general; these work best on your home turf. 2) In many cases, homeless people will minimally harmed by having a few hours taken out of their day, particularly if you arrange for money/food/shelter to be available when you're done; the downside is that you look like a homeless person while doing this. 3) People who are asleep already are good choices, although usually only at night; as long as you get them back before morning and don't commit any crimes, no harm no foul. 4) Animal hosts are surprisingly versatile. Birds in particular are great for shadowing/observing people.

By this point, my Kyrio also has the Lightning and Flowers attunements, which allows for some extra options. Particularly, Flowers is great for just existing on the Corporeal without worrying. You can put a Force into a shrub or bush, and you're very unlikely to accidentally harm it.

One of my personal favorites stories involves a demon who our Michaealite had ID'd while we were on a plane. Being a direct sort of angel, she proceeded to unScabbard a pair of knives and drive them into his heart via his collarbone. Fortunately, the bleeding was mostly internal, so she was able to pass him off as sleeping until we landed. We 'helped' our 'drunk friend' off the plane at the next stop, but we needed to get rid of him so we could finish our own business and not be arrested for murder. So we dragged him down to long term parking, where I had an idea. "You're going to hide him in one of these cars or something?" "No, watch this, they'll find Hoffa before they find this guy." We draped him on the hood of the biggest, most ostentatious SUV we could find, and then applied Transubstantiation to turn him into 250 lbs of pigeon guano.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Most Kyriotates, in my experience, wind up with animal hosts or Random Bum Drunks, and only rarely grab a random person who is actually Doing Something -- and even then, only for brief periods of time when someone could legitimately be zoning out.

For my stories? For the most part, I'd have to point at the logs of the games I GMed. For a personal one... Cherub of War; Balseraph of Baal says, "You cannot win!" Succeeds in resonance! Cherub believes! Cherub goes... "So?" and continues attacking. (Dissonance conditions prohibiting fleeing and all that.)

I liked that Cherub; he was a polar-bear with a STICK. A big stick. A big summonable quarterstaff stick.

Oh, and from the game my spouse GMed, the Kyriotate of Lightning PC who determined that demons were its personal playthings, who coined the phrase, "You can't Dodge your underwear," and who is responsible for the creation of Force Catchers and the rule that use of the Song of Acid requires something mouth-like in the host item. (Generator, however, has no such limitation...)
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Mysteris

Usually when I think of an IN character, my go-to is a Lilim. Bright or Dark, they just seem cool.

On the Heavenly side I'd love to try the Kyriotates and the Mercurians.
On the Infernal side: Habbalah (for their crazy-fun delusions) and Impudites. Though I could see playing an atypical Calabite who was smart and sneaky and not just a violent thug. :)
Mysteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Drop Bear

For me its Lilim, Impudites and on occasion Calabim or Habbalah when going Dark

Mercurians & Malakim for the Devine

But I normally end up playing Sorcerers or the GM as other players beat me to my Chior/Band & Superior combo or hit a concept a bit too close to my own wile I'm helping other players make their own characters to take pressure off the GM and get the game going.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
ladyarcana55

Lilim, Mercurians and Ofanim. I also like playing Soldiers

I'm playing a really young Bright in an IM game. She is turning out to be the comic relief, and I never expected that funny enough.

But she is so hyper and excitable that some of the others in the team think Lilith used an Ofanite's Force when creating her.

She's going to start carrying around a flask

"Oh my gosh! You guys are totally driving me to drink!"
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Jason

I GM much more than I play, but my goal was to play a Seraph and a Kyriotate on opposite ends of the personality spectrum ... and I got to play both! (Albeit briefly...)

The Seraph of the Sword is associated with Curtis, Angel of Etiquette. He is an extremely stiff and proper know-it-all. See, I wanted an excuse to regurgitate random factoids memorized from In Nomine books, remind players in-character of when they are screwing up on lore issues, and refer to Servitors by the proper forms of address in each of the Superiors guides, so I put several points into a "Celestial Politics" knowledge skill. And for some reason, not lying comes very naturally to me.

That said, lying like a rug also comes very naturally to me, so I got to play a Kyriotate of Creation IST War, recently redeemed from the service of Kobal. For a nice change of pace from the Seraph, his Lying and Will scores were so high that it spilled over into a +2 to the check digit, which made it a lot easier to play "master of disguise" with his Kyrio of Creation attunement. Good times.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
ISNorden

On Heaven's side: I'd vote for Mercurians and Ofanim as my favorite Choirs. I prefer diplomacy to "smite first and ask questions later", yet I also have a restless mind...the type that always wants to be going somewhere and doing something. (Even my real-life dreamscapes have a distinct geography; if that's not Ofanite thinking, I don't know what is!)

On Hell's side: I'd vote for Shedim (they're the spookiest and sneakiest demons around), followed by Lilim (nothing beats a traditional "deal with the Devil" as a plot hook).
Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
robkelk
Untitled

Welcome to the Guildhall, Adamant Azoth!

Like so many others here, I do love the Lilim... although (being the GM for an angelic party most of the time) I usually have to play them as antagonists. Not always, though - that angelic party is made up of two Seraphim of War, a Mercurian of Trade, and my not-as-often-seen GMPC: a Bright Lilim of Flowers. Chrysanthemum has a Role as a freshman arts student (to keep her out of the way of the PCs), and doesn't yet realize her roommate is a Soldier of Gluttony (to provide adventure hooks).
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta