Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
hackbarth

Default Suffer the wounds he causes

How to stat this disadvantage: The character suffer all the wounds that he causes in melee, for each attack that damages the opponent, the character suffer the same wounding.

And how to stat the same advantage with wounding up to a limit, so that a very weak character doesn't faint from kicking the shin of a very strong one?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
PseudoFenton

Default Re: Suffer the wounds he causes

How do you want this interact with DR and HP multiples?

Ie, do you take the injury or the damage inflicted (which can then be reduced via DR) or even just the same damage dealt (so your attack can utterly fail to penetrate DR but due to you having less DR you are still injured).
If it is just the injury, does the injury scale proportionally? So does injuring something twice the size (HP) as you make you suffer half that injury so it's proportionally the same?

I ask because its unclear what is causing this affect. Is it literally mirrored attacks which cannot be blocked, or a divine curse which just causes sympathetic injuries or just some sort of feedback due to the dark magics used to increase your power. Each one requires different mechanics because they'd interact with health loss differently.

Also is it just for melee attacks, so no form of ranged attacks or magic cause this effect? If it is just melee, does shoving someone into something or off of something causes equivalent wounds from the resulting collisions too?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
hackbarth

The source of the disadvantage is a kind o super-powered empathy.

It is the injury caused after DR and multipliers that is reciprocated on the character, not the damage.

Doesn't work if the damage is stopped by armor, or if the injured isn't a person (or any being that the empathy advantage doesn't work, like an animal, alien or beast), or if the damage is done by firearms, or bows (or throwing something), only in hand to hand combat.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Nosforontu

Since the in game effect will be to prevent or reduce the amount of times the character will be making attacks my first thought on it is to model the price on Pacifism. Probably at the self defense only level (since he will probably develope a workaround of sorts in play), perhaps even have it as a 100% enhancement option if he already has it?
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackbarth View Post
How to stat this disadvantage: The character suffer all the wounds that he causes in melee, for each attack that damages the opponent, the character suffer the same wounding.

And how to stat the same advantage with wounding up to a limit, so that a very weak character doesn't faint from kicking the shin of a very strong one?
I'd call a 25 point Divine Curse (based on the price of Total Pacifism). Well what I'd really do is just make the character Susceptible to causing injury to another and forget about the damage being exactly the same, but I'm not you.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
hackbarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'd call a 25 point Divine Curse (based on the price of Total Pacifism). Well what I'd really do is just make the character Susceptible to causing injury to another and forget about the damage being exactly the same, but I'm not you.
Susceptible, I wonder how much time I would spend to think of that... And is obvious, really.

That way accomplishes almost all that I want. Not the exact values of damage, but I'm not that much "gamist" after all, the feeling of the disad is more or less that. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
hackbarth

Thinking a bit more, Weakness is a better fit. Since there nothing harmful in causing wounding in others to be specially susceptible too.

And since the thing that causes the Weakness is the control of the character, I wold rate it as a Rare thing.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
ISTR a similar question coming up before, but I haven't been able to find a relevant thread... might be my memory playing tricks :/ Divine Curse is the way I would go, although -25 seems a bit much. A similar Vow might be only -15, and the bad roleplaying penalty for breaking it would be mimicked by the damage taken by the cursed character.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackbarth View Post
Thinking a bit more, Weakness is a better fit. Since there nothing harmful in causing wounding in others to be specially susceptible too.

And since the thing that causes the Weakness is the control of the character, I wold rate it as a Rare thing.
I keep mixing up Weakness and Susceptible.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
hackbarth

Divine Curse is the easy way out, since it is only a different way of saying "this bad stuff will happen to you, because the GM says so". But it really seems there isn't any other RAW way of doing this.

Tags
disadvantage