Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Dalin

Default I Smell a Rat battle maps (spoilers)

Had an impromptu game today with a few new players who were intrigued by the box on my coffee table. Had a blast, though we only barely started; we enjoyed a rousing battle with the spiders. This battle, however, made me realize that despite gaming for 35+ years, I don't know how to properly use preprinted combat scale maps. I always drew everything on a wet erase mat or, in recent years, dispensed with scale grids and ran things TotM-style, with occasional visual aids and sketches on a whiteboard.

My confusion centers on the fact that the maps give away the locations of secret doors, hidden passages, illusionary walls, etc. I could cover a wall, but that's not too subtle. Covering all the walls is possible, but awkward, especially with people reaching over to move their figures each turn. When I unfurled the map for the spider battle, I naively expected to see a for-the-players version without the smuggler' den or concealed passage.

What's the standard way to use aids like this? Just tell the players to role play what their characters would know?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: I Smell a Rat battle maps (spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
What's the standard way to use aids like this?
I have no idea. I wouldn't use them, I think they're terrible.

If I run it I'll be having to make my own Player facing maps.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Tom H.

Interesting. I had just read this post http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...79&postcount=6.

He addresses the same concern. It took me a couple of passes to really understand his solution though.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Colarmel

It can be subtle, to cover one wall as long as you make the coverage look slightly sloppy. Use some paper and just lay it at a slight diagonal. Or emphasize that the maps in I smell a rat are reused for Against the Rat Men. Some of the stuff on the maps is insignificant in ISaR. It's not quite true, but it's close enough. It can also be sorta useful in a couple places to have a map that triggers some suspicions.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:08 AM   #5
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Interesting. I had just read this post http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...79&postcount=6.

He addresses the same concern. It took me a couple of passes to really understand his solution though.
Sorry if it was unclear. I basically have a sheet of clear plastic with tracings of the walls minus any secret stuff. And I add things as they discover it.

They're not at all as pretty as the supplied maps, but they don't give away anything either.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #6
finn

I think there is no real way to use the pre-printed maps in "I Smell a Rat". They reveal way too much information. The adventure really should have mentioned how to use (or not use) the map.

I printed simple hex grids on A3 white papers, and as the PCs explored, I drew the map as necessary with a black marker.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:59 AM   #7
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I think there is no real way to use the pre-printed maps in "I Smell a Rat". They reveal way too much information. The adventure really should have mentioned how to use (or not use) the map.

I printed simple hex grids on A3 white papers, and as the PCs explored, I drew the map as necessary with a black marker.
If I didn't already have sheets of mylar, that would've been my solution.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:51 AM   #8
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post

Ah, yes, when I read this I wasn't expecting to play so it just skittered off my brain. I like the idea of tracing out the scale room shapes ahead of time.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:58 AM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
Yeah, I was wondering if I missed the blurb in the adventure about how to use the maps. As I laid it out on the table, I briefly thought that it was just for the GM to have somehow behind the screen to keep track of things.

For future products like this, I would recommend taking off all key information (numbers, letters, etc.) and having each location separated from the others with an appreciable gap. It wouldn't function as an overall map, but with folding or covering you could provide an attractive battlemap for each location. An additional benefit is that you can fit more "map" on a smaller poster because it all doesn't have to line up properly.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 AM   #10
Bruno

I'm working at redrawing them without any markings. There will be extra "tiles" with the hidden doors/rooms on them, so you cut them out and lay them down on the map when revealed.

I'm going to release a 300 DPI and a 50 DPI version, one for printing at a print shop with a wide format printer (Business Depot has them in Canada, frex), one for using as a digital battle map.

But I have to finish first :P
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote