Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2019, 03:33 AM   #31
Hyrneson

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We have no plans to sell that book separately. It is a part of the box set and is not a book for the players.
Phil, that's unfortunate. I'm one of the many folks who got the W23 releases of DF over the years before the KS. I didn't buy into the DF KickStarter because I didn't want to have to buy all the material again and my well established GURPS campaign works better with the mainline GURPS rules.
While the supporting W23 material like 'Treasure' and 'Monsters' 1, 2, & 3 are DF based they translate to non DF GURPS with minor tweaking.

It confuses me that Monsters 1 won't be available as a W23 item or PDF stretch for Monsters 2. I'm literally the guy standing there saying 'Take my money!' but because I don't want to have to repurchase the DF rules SJG doesn't want the money I'm willing to spend?
I don't play the DF rules, instead preferring the core GURPS rules, but purchase DF because it supports SJG. I'll settle for and buy a product that is 70% of something I can use instead of 100% of nothing because there isn't enough role playing support allowing the company to put out new material.

I don't mean any part of this with any disrespect, but rather to share my thoughts and position. I will buy into the 'Monsters 2' KS for the reasons I noted above, but being able to have 'Monsters 1' would be nice.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:55 AM   #32
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
It confuses me that Monsters 1 won't be available as a W23 item or PDF stretch for Monsters 2.
There's a minimum amount of staff time that goes into selling something, even something that already exists. If we aren't guaranteed that the time spent is going to generate sales to justify the effort, it becomes more challenging to add that to an overloaded staff.

if the new campaign takes us by surprise and overfunds by an unexpected amount, then we'll have the confidence (and support) to justify bringing more into the project.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:56 AM   #33
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
There's a minimum amount of staff time that goes into selling something, even something that already exists. If we aren't guaranteed that the time spent is going to generate sales to justify the effort, it becomes more challenging to add that to an overloaded staff.
The books already exist separately as pdfs, despite being bundled for sale together. How much would it take to split them off separately for sale?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #34
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The books already exist separately as pdfs, despite being bundled for sale together. How much would it take to split them off separately for sale?
Hours of staff time to prepare the appropriate webpages, the backend tracking of the separate title in our project management system, as well as adding accounting time from this day forward.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #35
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Shoot, as many people as you introduce, maybe you should look into trying to get a retail bundle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Retail bundles are only available for actual retailers. If you don't have a store, don't back at a retailer level.
I'll see if I can convince my principal to let me open a classroom store. (Just kidding!)

But I am working on a pitch for the school to pledge for a few copies of Monsters 2 to go with our existing DFRPG sets. We'll see.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #36
Hyrneson

Quote:
Hours of staff time to prepare the appropriate webpages, the backend tracking of the separate title in our project management system, as well as adding accounting time from this day forward.
Phil, thanks for the answers. Not to sound like I'm buttering your bread, but your involvement (and some others I expect) with SJG to keep an eye on the things gamers don't consider (the cogs & coins) has been more valuable than I think most people understand. I know of other companies that have died because they didn't watch those factors well enough.
I've pledged for M2 and hope that the KS is massively successful.
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #37
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
I've pledged for M2 and hope that the KS is massively successful.
Thank you!!!
Old 03-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #38
Bruno

Pledged in for my physical copy and some add-ons!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:40 AM   #39
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Pledged in for my physical copy and some add-ons!
Thanks! We're slowly gaining support; 40% of the way there!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #40
Mr_Sandman

I backed at the printed book level. I'm tempted by the players pack add on, but I'm not sure I'm up for spending that much for books that I already have PDFs and a physical copy of. If I were actively running a DFRPG campaign right now, instead of just thinking about the possibility, I probably would spring for it.
Mr_Sandman is online now   Reply With Quote