Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #61
adm

Default Re: Reality-testing / Playtesting the Guns Default . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the "Does everyone have to start with only a Default in Guns" sideline:

The Dabbler perk. I'd be happier justifying an investment in Dabbler for eg playing around with toy guns as a kid than a point in the real skill. Unless you're some sort of Nerf assassin, and I know some folks who at least fancy themselves one.
I would agree with that. Between Nerf guns, Airsoft, and even paint ball, and pellet guns, should all allow the Dabbler Perk. While a lot of kids play with all of the above, very few do it enough to rank as a real point.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #62
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the "Does everyone have to start with only a Default in Guns" sideline:

The Dabbler perk. I'd be happier justifying an investment in Dabbler for eg playing around with toy guns as a kid than a point in the real skill. Unless you're some sort of Nerf assassin, and I know some folks who at least fancy themselves one.
Very good point about the dabbler perk, it certainly mitigates the all or nothing aspect of defaults
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #63
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I would agree with that. Between Nerf guns, Airsoft, and even paint ball, and pellet guns, should all allow the Dabbler Perk. While a lot of kids play with all of the above, very few do it enough to rank as a real point.
True enough . . . I taught my child firearms safety and handling and safety with an airsoft pistol, and we insist she maintain "muzzle discipline" with her Zombie NERF Destroyer pistol at all times, so the basics of safety and operation can be conveyed with mock weapons (I hesitate to call any projectile weapon a toy).
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:27 AM   #64
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Had a looong break before returning to the range. (The new police are apparently booking all the openings in bulk because they want more training.)
But I'm back. Alas, I couldn't get solid numbers combined with clear hit data on most of the stuff I tried (because much of the evening was dominated by dry runs and by exercises that are were more about doing things the right way than about measuring results).
Of the things I do remember:
1. Head-sized targets at 15ish yards (maybe it was 20 this time? Not sure) seemed to have a 50%-80% hit rate with a pistol under semi-hurried conditions.

2. A timed series of attacks against six targets at 7-10 metres (yards), hitting each in a Vitals-sized area (i.e. all shots were aimed at the centre of the torso, falling within an area roughly equivalent to one lung as depicted on B399). Starting out with a holstered weapon, starting the action by an audial signal, performing a Ready to draw it out of a holster (the holster was not intended for soft belts, so it slightly snagged when I pulled it out) it and another to send the cartridge into the breech, first shot performed at slightly over 3 seconds, last shot completed after slightly over 13½ seconds.
That seems to imply at most a single Aim action before the first shot (maybe none, depending on how bad the drawing was), and a total of 10 seconds for the remaining shots (so at most 1 second of Aim for each, assuming an even split, and that changing targets did not have a further detrimental effect for a person without proper training).

----

I suppose that for any subsequent exercises I will no longer be able to claim non-familiarity, making the experiment not as interesting. Anyone willing to analyze the numbers?

Tags
playtesting, reality-testing, tactical shooting