Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #1
BeniJmnz

Default Discarding items with "Help me out here"

I don't know english description of this card.
In spanish, it says something similar to this:
...you can discard one item before taking an item from another player

Because it says "can", i suppose it is not needed. If i have an item with 1 hand, and i take an item with 2 hands, can i unequip "1 hand item" and equip the new one? or i need to discard this "1 hand item"?

Can i discard an object that not affects to equip the item taken?
for example: i take an armor, but i want to discard a "Huge rock", because i want to equip another big item on next turn. Can i do this? Can i discard "Huge rock" in any case (equipped or unequipped)?

I have a little question about "Huge rock" (i know it is not the basic purpose of this post, but i was talking about him, and it could help me to resolve this question too)
Can i sell objects to win +1 level, and add this item to objects sold?

Last edited by BeniJmnz; 08-26-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: changing "bag" for "unequip"
BeniJmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Discarding items with "Help me out here"

Help-me-out-here specifies that you are taking an item from another player and equipping it. If you have an item "in the way", you must discard that one item. You cannot unequip and keep it. I am pretty sure you could not take a big item and then discard the Rock. You could only discard an item that is taking the slot you are trying to fill with the new item: armor for armor or hands for hands, for instance.

When you sell items for levels, you are allowed to add "extra" ones, whether they have a Value or No Value, so long as the levels you receive do not cause you to exceed level-9.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

One thing I'd like to address here, while I can:

There is no "bag" defined in the rules, so there is no way to interpret exactly what you mean. If you mean to say "unused" or "unequipped," please use those terms. The reason we ask people to not use that term is that here and out in the field, I've heard four different interpretations of the terms "backpack," "sack," and "bag." Our goal is to be able to be clear and concise, so we stick to terms that are defined and used in the game.

As for your question about the use of Help Me Out Here!: Brf's response is partially correct. You must be able to use the Item you take, and if something's in the way it will have to be discarded. Normally, you can't discard an Item for only the reason that you want to do so. You have to trade it, sell it, or find a way to lose it legally, so Help Me Out Here! gives you permission to discard an Item to make room. However, where Brf is mistaken is that you don't have to discard Armor if you take Armor unless you already have Armor. So, in your example, you want to discard a Big 2 Hands Item in order to be able to take Big Armor, which is perfectly fine unless you're already wearing Armor. So, if you wanted to take the Big Armor, were already wearing Armor, and had a Big 2 Hands Item, you would not be able to take the Big Armor because you'd have to discard two of your Items, and you're only allowed to discard one.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
Brf

Aha. So you are allowed to discard a Big item to take another Big item, as long as that one item is the only one that has to be discarded. Thanks for the clarification.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
Aha. So you are allowed to discard a Big item to take another Big item, as long as that one item is the only one that has to be discarded.
In this specific case, yes. I don't want anyone coming across this and thinking you're making a general statement.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:05 AM   #6
BeniJmnz

Thank you! Then, we need to discard an equipped item if it is in the way, but we can't unequip it with "Help me out here" to equip the new one, ins't it?

I suppose card description is not good in this case. In Spanish, it says "You can discard...", and i think it was better to say "you have to discard an item if it is in the way..."
How is English description?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
There is no "bag" defined in the rules, so there is no way to interpret exactly what you mean. If you mean to say "unused" or "unequipped," please use those terms.
Of course! i have changed terms on first post to avoid noone more read that :)
BeniJmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

The English says that you "may" discard. It's giving you permission to make room for the Item you intend to take by discarding one you have in play. In other words, you must be legally able to play and use the Item you take, and if you already have the same kind of Item in play, you must discard it. You can't turn the old Item sideways to only carry it, and you can't not use the Item you took from the other player.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote