Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Qport

Default Couple more rules questions

Sorry in advance if this has already been covered, but I just wanted to check in to see if some of my questions could be answered. I'm fairly new to the game and don't know all the card names/text 100%, but I'm sure veteran players will recognize what I'm talking about.

How do big items work, exactly? A situation that comes up often in my group is that someone will play the big rock item, that has no value, and then they'll later get a different Big item that they want to play. They can't put the rock back into their hand, or sell it, so what can be done? Is the only option available to give it away as a gift to another player?

In regards to that, can a player refuse your gift if they don't want the item?

Another one, how does agreeing upon treasure work when coordinating with another player to defeat a monster? I came upon a situation where a friend of mine was fighting a monster that offered 2 treasure. I offered to help, on the condition that if we were successful, I would no matter what get 1 treasure. He agreed, and I then played the -5 to monster card (I think it's called Baby), that makes the monster also give -1 treasure if defeated. Based on our previous agreement, I was under the assumption I would get the one and only available treasure. My friends shot that down and said I couldn't do it though. Clarification would be appreciated. Once treasure is agreed upon, like in the above scenario, can it be revoked? Once someone has agreed to allow you to help them, can that be revoked by either party?

One more, and this goes to how the Cleric works, and how treasure works when teaming up. I was watching the episode of Table Top with Will Wheaton featuring Steve Jackson playing Munchkin, and they did something my friends had never mentioned. When people teamed up to help eachother, the treasure from the fight was shown face up.

As far as that goes, when you agree on sharing treasure, do you flip all the treasure face up and then work out who gets what? I couldn't really tell in the video how exactly it was done. If you agree "I get first treasure" does that mean you get first pick of the treasure once they're flipped face up, or would you instead get the first treasure as in the first treasure card (like, the top card of the treasure pile)?

Also, with Cleric, my group claims when you kick down the door you can use the Cleric ability to have the top card of the discard pile be your door card (if it's a monster, you fight it, if it's a curse, it's used on you, anything else goes to your hand). They further claim that when doing this, choosing to draw from the top of the discards for your door card, you can do as many cards as you want. So, lets say there's a card in the discard pile 3 cards deep that you want. You kick down the door, choosing to go off the top of the discards, and the first card becomes your door card, and you can discard a total of 3 cards for the Cleric's effect to get the top 3 of the discards, with the very top one being your new kick down the door card. This doesn't sound quite right to me so I'd like clarification.

Also, when can the Cleric uses their Redemption ability on Treasure cards after defeating monsters? It's my understanding that it can only happen when assisting someone in a fight, since that's the only time treasure cards are drawn face up. Does it work when someone else helps the Cleric in a fight, or only when a Cleric helps someone else, or both? Or neither? Please clarify.

Thanks again in advance for any information you guys can help me with.
Qport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Couple more rules questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qport View Post
How do big items work, exactly? A situation that comes up often in my group is that someone will play the big rock item, that has no value, and then they'll later get a different Big item that they want to play. They can't put the rock back into their hand, or sell it, so what can be done?
"No Value" is the same as zero Gold Pieces, so if you can sell other Items totaling 1,000 Gold Pieces, you can toss the Big Rock in "for free." You can also discard it to power a Class or Race ability that doesn't specify it has to use cards from your hand. You are correct that you can't put it back in your hand, you can't discard it for no reason, and you can't intentionally play an illegal second Big item to get rid of the first.

Quote:
In regards to that, can a player refuse your gift if they don't want the item?
Usually, yes. If you legally had multiple Big items and the situation became illegal, then the extra Big items go to the lowest-Level players who can use them, and they don't get a choice in the matter.

Quote:
Another one, how does agreeing upon treasure work when coordinating with another player to defeat a monster? I came upon a situation where a friend of mine was fighting a monster that offered 2 treasure. I offered to help, on the condition that if we were successful, I would no matter what get 1 treasure. He agreed, and I then played the -5 to monster card (I think it's called Baby), that makes the monster also give -1 treasure if defeated. Based on our previous agreement, I was under the assumption I would get the one and only available treasure. My friends shot that down and said I couldn't do it though. Clarification would be appreciated.
You made an appropriately munchkinly play and you should have received the Treasure.

Quote:
Once treasure is agreed upon, like in the above scenario, can it be revoked? Once someone has agreed to allow you to help them, can that be revoked by either party?
Once help has been offered and accepted, the helper is committed and can't back out or get kicked out. (Exceptions: Some cards will allow or even force the helper to leave, often because the combat becomes for the win. The general rule, however, is that the helper is stuck.)

Either party can offer to renegotiate the agreement, but if the other person refuses, the original agreement holds.

Quote:
One more, and this goes to how the Cleric works, and how treasure works when teaming up. I was watching the episode of Table Top with Will Wheaton featuring Steve Jackson playing Munchkin, and they did something my friends had never mentioned. When people teamed up to help eachother, the treasure from the fight was shown face up.
That's straight from the rules of the game -- Treasure from a fight in which there is a helper is face up, always.

A
Quote:
s far as that goes, when you agree on sharing treasure, do you flip all the treasure face up and then work out who gets what? I couldn't really tell in the video how exactly it was done. If you agree "I get first treasure" does that mean you get first pick of the treasure once they're flipped face up, or would you instead get the first treasure as in the first treasure card (like, the top card of the treasure pile)?
That's up for each group to decide. It's best to be specific for this exact reason.

Quote:
Also, with Cleric, my group claims when you kick down the door you can use the Cleric ability to have the top card of the discard pile be your door card (if it's a monster, you fight it, if it's a curse, it's used on you, anything else goes to your hand).
This is correct.

Quote:
They further claim that when doing this, choosing to draw from the top of the discards for your door card, you can do as many cards as you want.
This is not. You don't get to draw more cards than you would have normally -- when kicking down the door, this means one. (Two if you're playing at Epic levels, but I doubt that you are.)

Quote:
Also, when can the Cleric uses their Redemption ability on Treasure cards after defeating monsters? It's my understanding that it can only happen when assisting someone in a fight, since that's the only time treasure cards are drawn face up. Does it work when someone else helps the Cleric in a fight, or only when a Cleric helps someone else, or both? Or neither? Please clarify.
The rules say clearly (for exactly this reason, actually) that the player whose turn it is draws the Treasure. So if a Cleric gets help and wins, the Cleric may choose to use the Resurrection ability on the Treasure. A Cleric who merely helps, however, may not.

Also note that in this case, you have to decide how many cards to Resurrect before drawing any of them -- you don't draw one and then decide again for the next one.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Superfish

Quote:
Another one, how does agreeing upon treasure work when coordinating with another player to defeat a monster? I came upon a situation where a friend of mine was fighting a monster that offered 2 treasure. I offered to help, on the condition that if we were successful, I would no matter what get 1 treasure. He agreed, and I then played the -5 to monster card (I think it's called Baby), that makes the monster also give -1 treasure if defeated. Based on our previous agreement, I was under the assumption I would get the one and only available treasure. My friends shot that down and said I couldn't do it though. Clarification would be appreciated. Once treasure is agreed upon, like in the above scenario, can it be revoked? Once someone has agreed to allow you to help them, can that be revoked by either party?
Just to clarify, when you say you are "helping", do you mean that you are joining the other player in the combat, adding your combat bonus to his and risking the bad stuff with him, or do you mean that you are simply playing a card to assist him? Because as I read the rules these are two distinct situations and affect the way the treasure can be shared.

Edit - (Btw I applaud the wonderfully munchkin-y trick you played ;) )

Last edited by Superfish; 02-11-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Superfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

"Helping," in the context of the Munchkin rules, always means actually joining the fight. Playing cards, even beneficial ones, is not "helping."

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote