Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
RoflCopterDowN

Default Even more newbie question

Hi, I bought the Munchkin Zombie set and I have never played other Munchkins before. Hence, reading cards like Wizards and Potions confuses me. Basically, I have a few questions in mind:

1) If I'm in combat with a say level 8 Tax Man (2 Treasures) and someone puts in a Wandering Monster with a level 16 Game Show Host (2 levels, 4 treasures). Question: If by somehow I asked help or I managed to defeat them myself, do I get loot and level from Tax Man only or loots and levels from Game Show Host as well?

2) Take the same scenario, is their strength combine or do I have to fight them one by one?

3) The Wandering Monster card, can I play it after defeating a monster in "Kicking the door" phase? Basically, I understand after reading several posts on this forum, Wandering Monster card can be played anytime with or without a monster in play, or did I understood it wrongly?

That's all for now until I continue playing later. Thank you in advance to whoever has taken their time to read and answer this. Cheers!
RoflCopterDowN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Even more newbie question

1) If you win, on your own or with help, you get the levels and treasures for all monsters you kill. (Some monsters will give up their treasure if you defeat them another way, but this will be spelled out on a card.) So in this case, you'd get 3 levels and 6 treasures.

2) Their levels are combined. In this instance, you'd need to beat a combat strength of 24.

3) In order to play a Wandering Monster card, there had to be a monster in the fight to begin with. If you declare victory, other players have reasonable time to play another monster into the fight.

Welcome to the forums!! It's a great community. Hang around and have fun.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
RoflCopterDowN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampop View Post
1) If you win, on your own or with help, you get the levels and treasures for all monsters you kill. (Some monsters will give up their treasure if you defeat them another way, but this will be spelled out on a card.) So in this case, you'd get 3 levels and 6 treasures.

2) Their levels are combined. In this instance, you'd need to beat a combat strength of 24.

3) In order to play a Wandering Monster card, there had to be a monster in the fight to begin with. If you declare victory, other players have reasonable time to play another monster into the fight.

Welcome to the forums!! It's a great community. Hang around and have fun.
Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to learn anything new about Munchkins. And yes, it is a very very addictive game. I can't let go of my box wherever I go! Hahaha! Thank you again. :)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopterDowN View Post
Hi, I bought the Munchkin Zombie set and I have never played other Munchkins before. Hence, reading cards like Wizards and Potions confuses me.
The Fantasy version of Munchkin was the first, so it has more players. Not only that, but Fantasy RPG is the most traditional and most played, specially Dungeons and Dragons, so that version is more appealing for players who have already played tabletop roleplaying games.

It's also the version with most expansions and cards. Thus, it's expected that most doubts in the forums are about the fantasy version.

Welcome!
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampop View Post
Just to avoid any misconceptions this might give, that wording is not quite true. In order to play Wandering Monster, there must still be a fight, but there doesn't need to be a monster in that fight. If a card or ability allows you to remove the monster from the fight without ending the fight, Wandering Monster can still be played to stop you getting Treasure (or whatever) from the first monster unless you beat the new one.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Bampop

Ah, I see where that could create confusion. I was treating the parts of his question where he said, "can I play it after defeating a monster in "Kicking the door" phase?" and, "Wandering Monster card can be played anytime with or without a monster in play" as separate ideas. I see now that the second part still meant "in a combat where all monsters are currently gone."
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
RoflCopterDowN

Btw, one more question..

Can I use wandering monster on myself? Say I'm level 8, and I have a level 2 monster in my hand, and then when I start the "Kicking the door" phase a monster appears and I kill it gaining it's treasures and going up to level 9, now.. Can I play wandering monster to win the game? Basically I THINK what I'm trying to ask is, can I play Wandering Monster on myself?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopterDowN View Post
Btw, one more question..

Can I use wandering monster on myself? Say I'm level 8, and I have a level 2 monster in my hand, and then when I start the "Kicking the door" phase a monster appears and I kill it gaining it's treasures and going up to level 9, now.. Can I play wandering monster to win the game? Basically I THINK what I'm trying to ask is, can I play Wandering Monster on myself?
You can play Wandering Monster on yourself, but you cannot do it in the way you described.

What both Bampop and I were trying to say is that if you kill the first monster by beating its combat strength, then the combat is over. There is no ability to play Wandering Monster if there is no current combat, so it can't be played at that point.

What you can do is play the second monster to aid the first one before you have decided to kill the first. You will now need to be able to beat their combined combat strength, but if you can, and nobody interferes to stop you, then you will kill them both and win the game.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
RoflCopterDowN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
You can play Wandering Monster on yourself, but you cannot do it in the way you described.

What both Bampop and I were trying to say is that if you kill the first monster by beating its combat strength, then the combat is over. There is no ability to play Wandering Monster if there is no current combat, so it can't be played at that point.

What you can do is play the second monster to aid the first one before you have decided to kill the first. You will now need to be able to beat their combined combat strength, but if you can, and nobody interferes to stop you, then you will kill them both and win the game.
Thank you so much!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
RoflCopterDowN

Actually, I have one more question.. Man, the more I read the more confused I get. Okay, I just found out that you can curse or GUAL (Go Up A Level) or even change your Powers/Mojos even DURING combat. I can really do that? Changing my mojo or power during combat? So basically, the only thing I cannot change are my equipped items right? Other than that, I can still throw in a new power or change my power, or I can curse someone or even help myself level up with a GUAL card? Trading is obviously not allowed.

And I hope this is my final question for the day before I spam.
PS: I tried finding answers in the forums first before I post the question. Sorry!

Tags
combat, question, wandering