Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #31
Bazz

Default Re: Gummi Golem

i would say a friendly monster is no longer involved in combat, and so you could use items on any remaining monsters. but i would have said the same thing about a Charmed monster, and seemingly from what you said, thats been contradicted somewhere?

but you couldn't use pollymorph potion on Gummi Golem anyhow - it's an item.
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #32
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humorme
Now, I realize that if the GG was actually defeated, then his special ability (fight without items) applies, but what if he is made friendly and therefore does not fight?

If a monster which applies a disadvantage (or advantage) does not fight (through use of a card such as friendly), does his ability still count for other monsters in combat?
Perhaps you are thinking of another card. Friendly affects all the Monsters in a combat; you can still decide to fight them, but each Monster then gets +2d6 levels tacked on and you can't change your mind afterward. I don't see how using Friendly would change the Gummi Golem's special abilities or effect on the final outcome of the battle.

Quote:
I know this has been discussed before, but I wasn't able to uncover the thread or maybe I managed to overlook it. I found something that covered cards such as pollymorph potion, but in those instances, the monster attempted to harrass the player, at least, so of course the special ability applies.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. "[H]arass" the player? Pollymorph Potion makes one Monster go away and leave its Treasure. It is gone, so its special abilities no longer apply. It's not harassing anyone, it's not fighting anyone, it's simply gone. You leave the Monster card out with the card that removed it so you know how much Treasure you get if you defeat any remaining Monsters, or simply discard it and draw Treasure if it's the only (or final) Monster to defeat, however the Monster no longer has any affect on the outcome of the combat, only the rewards.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #33
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz
i would say a friendly monster is no longer involved in combat, and so you could use items on any remaining monsters. but i would have said the same thing about a Charmed monster, and seemingly from what you said, thats been contradicted somewhere?

It hasn't been contradicted, so far as I can tell, and I would allow the use a Pollymorph Potion on the Gummi Golem. Magic Lamp, too.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #34
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz
IIRC, you could use Pollymorph Potions to get rid of the monster -- it's special ability of "No items against it" applies only to items used to fight it (ie., ones that give a combat bonus or the like). Items that allow you to avoid combat altogether are A-OK though. I think this was covered with the Ghoulfiends. Or Insurance Salesman. Whichever one of those is the "Fight with Levels only" monster.

Edit: Ah, here it is: Level 8 Ghoulfiends

Last edited by ArcadianRefugee; 05-28-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: found it
ArcadianRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #35
Humorme

Okay, lemme see if I can find the card that was used....

oh, nvm - too many cards.

Let's just say a wizard charms the gummi golem, but there is another monster. Normally, the affects of the gummi golem also apply to the other monster. Since the GG is charmed [in my words, not harrassing the combatant munchkin(s)], does the special ability (you may not use magic items in this fight) still apply to the other monster?

My ruling, for the sake of I was going to win anyway, was that the monster is friendly due to charm and no longer "harrassing" the players (attempting to fight them) and since it was not intending harm to them, its ability no longer applies. On the other hand, had the card that eliminated the GG been a Pollymorph potion, the monster was at least actively TRYING to affect the combat (what I meant by "harrassing") and therefore it would still apply its ability even after defeat.

Now that I read this after being typed out, I'm pretty certain that no matter how the GG is eliminated, its ability still applies. I threw too much logic in for a game of munchkin. Oh, well, the players seemed to think that my ruling was the best choice (though most likely wrong), so can someone at least make this official or psuedo-official so if it comes up again, I can say "Yeah, but I asked on the forums and MM said the GG still uses his ability, so :P!"
Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #36
Bazz

i think erik made it clear that if the monster is eliminated from the combat, then the ability does not apply. pollymorph, charm, potion of ennui, leech bomb, Dead, illusion, etc, all remove the monster, and the monster no longer has *any* effect on the combat.
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #37
maxdemon76

What Bazz said.

The monster isn't effectively friendly, the monster is completely removed from the combat. If the monster isn't there, it's weird side-effects (not using items in this case) is also removed from the combat.
maxdemon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #38
Porter

Hello all, first post here. Played some gurps in the past, but I just bought Munchkin at my local hobby store this past weekend and have fallin deeply in love, will be buying more shortly.

Anyway, in responce to this last post 'Any item is a magical item', could you please explain to me how '11 Foot Pole' is a magical item? or simple '+1 leather armour' is a magical item? These are two items I can think of off the top of my head that would have to say are not magical and simply give you their small bonus due simply to what they are, not their 'powers'.
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #39
Progmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter
Hello all, first post here. Played some gurps in the past, but I just bought Munchkin at my local hobby store this past weekend and have fallin deeply in love, will be buying more shortly.

Anyway, in responce to this last post 'Any item is a magical item', could you please explain to me how '11 Foot Pole' is a magical item? or simple '+1 leather armour' is a magical item? These are two items I can think of off the top of my head that would have to say are not magical and simply give you their small bonus due simply to what they are, not their 'powers'.
There is no such thing as a "magical item" in Munchkin. There are Items, plain and simple. For this particular card the phrase "magical item" might be a bit confusing, but rest assured, it just means Items.

Glad to hear you liked the game. :-)
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #40
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter
Well, if you are a DnD nerd, a +1 Anything is normally magickal. Yeah, eventually they started the whole "weapon of quality" nonsense, but whatever.

And obviously an 11-Foot Pole is magickal. You ever see one of those in the Player's Guide equipment? Where'd that extra foot come from? Obviously a magickal construct of some form, utilizing the dark arts.

Seriously, though: all items are magickal items because, uhm, they said so. And you are thinking too much.