Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #11
Harald387

Default Re: This cleric kills Evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
What did Evil ever do to deserve this?
Evil is responsible for all those kittens.

Kromm, you have a talent for making characters that I actually really want to play.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
What did Evil ever do to deserve this?
I think that might be the wrong question to ask for a lot of dungeon fantasy campaigns.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post

Kromm, you have a talent for making characters that I actually really want to play.
Thanks – that's really the fun part for me! The obsession with game mechanics makes me go "Meh."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Thanks – that's really the fun part for me! The obsession with game mechanics makes me go "Meh."
Oh wow, did I miss something? You must explain.

With your physics background and the rules heavy approach to GURPS, I would have thought game mechanics was your forte.

Are you implying that detailed mechanics are a necessary evil to having an immersive experience that is really about the characters?

And where would you personally place adventure creation on the fun continuum since to me it is more related to dynamic characters than are mechanics?

I had assumed that adventure design was low on your list of priorities, but maybe that was more from a professional content or marketing perspective.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #15
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post

With your physics background and the rules heavy approach to GURPS, I would have thought game mechanics was your forte.
I'm capable of doing math. I have a couple of university degrees in theoretical physics, which is a fancy way of saying "applied mathematics, with a side order of computer programming." So to an extent, working out rules logic is something I do. It is not, however, the fun part of my job . . . if I found that fun, I'd still be in the academy.

Quote:

Are you implying that detailed mechanics are a necessary evil to having an immersive experience that is really about the characters?
Pretty much this. When I actually play games, they are entirely hero-centric. I'm not big on reality simulation because that's just rules all over again. I am, however, a huge fan of digging into the genre rather than letting the game mechanics dominate my thinking.

Quote:

And where would you personally place adventure creation on the fun continuum since to me it is more related to dynamic characters than are mechanics?

I had assumed that adventure design was low on your list of priorities, but maybe that was more from a professional content or marketing perspective.
I'm just plain Not Great at adventure design. The things I do best as a gamer are: (1) dream up campaign frameworks, (2) create character backstories, and (3) (when GMing) improvise responses to player actions. Unfortunately for me as a professional, gamers don't really buy campaign sketches (or GURPS Zombies: Day One would sell a lot better) or pregenerated characters (or GURPS Supporting Cast PDFs would sell better, too), and there's no simple way to sell improvisation. So I tend to stick to game mechanics, but I stay as close to GMing and character-creation advice – and as far from design systems – as I possibly can.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:32 AM   #16
Tom H.

Thank you so much for that reply Kromm.

It was very revelatory; I'm still trying to absorb all the stereotypes you broke.

Also, I didn't know about the "Supporting Cast" experiment. I may have to check out that offering. In 2010, I was knee deep in corporate enslavement.

Do you think "Supporting Cast" may have a future with the DFRPG? It looks like an informal collection is already emerging in the forums.

For those of us wanting to run the DFRPG at conventions, such a supplement would be a great resource to allow players to pick their characters.

Pair that with Dungeon Fantasy 13: Loadouts, and you have a great player starter kit. Actually, how incompatible is DF13 with the DFRPG? Is it primarily a matter of higher DFRPG armor prices? I think Dungeon Fantasy 13 is a super useful supplement.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #17
Stone Dog

DF 13 also has different armor weights, so there are other things to update there.

I love DF 13 too though, I think it could be great converted over to the DFRPG.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #18
Colarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
DF 13 also has different armor weights, so there are other things to update there.

I love DF 13 too though, I think it could be great converted over to the DFRPG.
Someone's done the armor translation and linked it here on the forum.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #19
Stone Dog

If it is the same guy I'm thinking of, it is very good work, but isn't it more of a web table instead of a player handout/worksheet?
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:02 AM   #20
dcarson

I'm starting to enter these into GCS. Is it OK to put them in the GURPS character repository?
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character