Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-12-2018, 03:53 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Talents - Monster Followers and Woodsman

NOTE: I have pulled this from the other thread since that one was devolving into house rules territory. Placing this here, alone, makes it more useful; Steve can read this info, click the link if he is interested in comments, and then we can delete this post when it has been addressed internally.

Please do not comment here. If you wish, comment on the original thread that was posted by larsdangly here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=159145

---

From larsdangly:

It sounds like the next couple of weeks is the last chance to make any corrections/clarifications to the core rules, so I thought this would be a good time to point out any specific places that seem like rough spots. I was re-reading the talents recently and had a couple of thoughts:

1) Monster Followers is patterned after New Followers, but it isn't totally clear whether or not it requires Charisma as a prereq. New Followers clearly does; on the other hand, MF functions like NF, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has the same prereqs as NF, and the Charisma talent itself works in ways that seem directly related to NF but would not function on the targets of MF. So, it strikes me as an ambiguity that should be tidied up.

2) I really like the rules for taking temporary ST damage when you travel in harsh environments without a guide who has the Woodsman talent (as well as the complementary rules on getting lost). But its pretty confusing that the core rules on overland travel describe getting lost but the Woodsman talent does not, whereas the Woodsman talent describes how people take temporary damage during travel but the core rules do not. You have to be pretty observant to figure out how this is all supposed to work together.

p.s., the intended point of this thread is the sort of stuff an editor would pick up, not big changes to the list of talents or how they are supposed to work.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Talents - Monster Followers and Woodsman

Thank you; that thread went pear-shaped at a laughably quick pace!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote