Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-11-2018, 02:02 AM   #21
zot

Default Re: Tied AdjDX and Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2 View Post
I am clearly in the minority here but I would like to suggest making things MORE complicated. I like the idea of having some randomness in the order in which players act in the action phase, but of course those with higher adj dx should have an advantage. Maybe this:

Players act in order of adjusted adjusted dexterity, where your adjusted adjusted dexterity is the sum of your adjusted dexterity plus the result of a single die roll. So each player would roll a die at the end of each movement phase to determine their adjusted adjusted dexterity for that turn. To hit rolls would still be based on adjusted dexterity (not adjusted adjusted dexterity which is only used to determine order of actions).

Example: A, B, C, and D are in combat and are able to act during the action phase. Their adjusted dexterities are 16, 12, 12, and 9. Each rolls a die and the results are 1, 6, 2, and 5, making their adjusted adjusted dexteritiez 17, 18, 14, and 14. So B acts first, followed by A. C and D are tied, so their order of action is determined by another die roll (odd for C, even for D, or something similar).
It's a neat idea and it doesn't look like it would actually slow things down too much if everyone rolls at the start of the turn when you roll for initiative. Especially if you do turn-order with a card for each character like I do (after rolling, each player writes their adj adj DX at the top and hands it to the GM), of course the GM does have to roll for each NPC...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:28 AM   #22
JLV

Fistfuls of multi-colored dice, baby! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:34 AM   #23
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Fistfuls of multi-colored dice, baby! ;-)
In my own RPG, I actually changed the mechanics to increase the number of dice because one of my players really really wanted to roll even more dice. We were already using dice pools but I guess he wanted more dice in the pool!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #24
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
In my own RPG, I actually changed the mechanics to increase the number of dice because one of my players really really wanted to roll even more dice. We were already using dice pools but I guess he wanted more dice in the pool!
We took the doubling of damage from Pole Weapons and the double/triple from rolling a 3 or 4 to mean roll that many more dice, not roll the normal number and multiply. It was nicely dramatic and ominous (and gratifying, if you were the one doing the damage) to roll a bunch of damage dice at once.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #25
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
LOL! People are strange sometimes, but I always learn something from them...and as long as everyone is having fun, it's okay with me!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #26
RobW

I just noticed on p 107, a change made in response to this thread: "If adjDX is tied, the figures on the side with initiative go first. Within that side, if it matters, the figure with the highest basic DX goes first. If there are still ties, roll the dice."
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #27
hcobb

Yes, the testing process worked for those issues that were noted and clearly communicated. The fixup process only introduced two additional mechanical typos.

There were several items that nobody caught during the test. One of these was a garbled sentence and the rest where logical inconsistencies between different elements.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #28
larsdangly

I like the revised rule (p. 107).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #29
Skarg

I prefer the original rule, because it makes more sense to me.

i..e.:

The new rule creates a physical side-effect which only applies when figures happen to have the same adjDX.

It also leads to goofy gamey tactics, such as: "Oh, we lost initiative, and they're making us move first, and we know we have several figures with the same adjDX as them, so we should move to avoid combat this round, or else those figures will fight worse this turn. We'll wait until we win initiative to move to engage." Even if we try to rationalize that making sense, and even if we like the type of play that encourages, it is weird that it only has effect to the degree that there are opponents with equal adjDX.

Also, I don't think initiative needs to be any more powerful than it already is.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #30
amenditman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
We took the doubling of damage from Pole Weapons and the double/triple from rolling a 3 or 4 to mean roll that many more dice, not roll the normal number and multiply. It was nicely dramatic and ominous (and gratifying, if you were the one doing the damage) to roll a bunch of damage dice at once.
I like that and will probably use it. Roll more dice for damage, not 2x or 3x your single roll.
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, initiative