Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #21
ColBosch

Default Re: Ogre and GEV Usable Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
That's because it's a good excuse! But when we play Battletech, we look up the excuse in the index and are told it's on page 412, flip around a bit to find out that inserting images added 9 pages and it's actually on page 421, and end up at a paragraph that reads "for the text of the excuse, see 'Unfolding the mapsheets' on page 198."

(Can you tell I was digging around a Catalyst-penned sourcebook last night? I may or may not be a little frustrated and may or may not be wearing an exaggeration thereof on my sleeve)
And yet, a certain very vocal percentage of that fanbase wants MORE RULES and MORE TABLES. *sighs* It was very frustrating to work on some of those products.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #22
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
And yet, a certain very vocal percentage of that fanbase wants MORE RULES and MORE TABLES. *sighs* It was very frustrating to work on some of those products.
I can only imagine...I've read the horror stories of the Forgotten Realms developers and their arguments with their publisher over sacrificing lore in the name of crunch...new base classes, new prestige classes, new feats, new skill tricks, etc.

The book in question for last night was a Shadowrun book, but yeah...Battletech needs a new edition in the worst way. It had what...4 editions between '84 and '96, and has been carrying on with expansions, band-aids, and minor refinements for 22 years? It's time. It was time 10 years ago.

My big annoyance with that game has to be that since the passing of the baton, there have been too many writers and not enough game designers...the tone shifts, the power spikes, the hand-waving to create epic apocalyptic / messianic storylines and conspiracies puppeteering conspiracies that puppeteered conspiracies, that's when I started to go from a passionate fan to merely a player, and started to lose patience with the ever-increasingly-complicated tables / case rules / etc.

Sure, come the War of 3039 the universe needed a shake-up...you can only have so many galaxy-spanning border-nibbling "world wars" based on one noble telling another noble their mother dresses them funny before it gets a bit stale...but really felt it went to the opposite extreme. I really enjoyed the "A rotting universe where its best times were behind it, but there's still some hope in the form of occasionally rediscovering lost technology" feel, and even enjoyed the "scrambling to stop being hopelessly outgunned in the face of a foreign invader" feel of the early Clan invasion, so was sad when it became more like throwing legions of shiny super-mechs at each other like they were Gundam mooks.

But hey, it contributed to my eventual discovery of Ogre, so that's a win. :D
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/

Last edited by TheAmishStig; 02-20-2018 at 07:41 PM.
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #23
Macunaima

Quote:
Be of good cheer: it could’ve been Starfleet Battles.
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #24
jfleisher

Aaaaahhhh!!!!

You writ the unholy trinity of letters... S.....F.....B!

Yes, I once owned the Doomsday rule book and could find any rule in just a few seconds.

I don’t miss that game.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #25
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post

You writ the unholy trinity of letters... S.....F.....B!
I thought they were ASL.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #26
ColBosch

You guys saw how I over-wrote the rules for Ghost units? Yeah, that comes from having written for BattleTech, where everything has to be spelled out and every edge case ironed-down. Don't get me wrong, I still love that game and am good friends with my former boss and line developer, Herb Beas, but I won't go back to writing for it...even if they'd have me. :D

Anyway, enough of that digression. I've got a big collection of BattleTech vehicles, but hoo boy, those are sculpted BIG. Most are way too large for Ogre, with the exception of the Demolisher heavy tank. Its current model makes a good superheavy, and the original, four-track piece is great for converting into not-Ogres.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #27
TheAmishStig

Quote:
You guys saw how I over-wrote the rules for Ghost units? Yeah, that comes from having written for BattleTech, where everything has to be spelled out and every edge case ironed-down. Don't get me wrong, I still love that game and am good friends with my former boss and line developer, Herb Beas, but I won't go back to writing for it...even if they'd have me. :D

Anyway, enough of that digression. I've got a big collection of BattleTech vehicles, but hoo boy, those are sculpted BIG. Most are way too large for Ogre, with the exception of the Demolisher heavy tank. Its current model makes a good superheavy, and the original, four-track piece is great for converting into not-Ogres.
Which leaves me sitting here thinking "Ohgod, I hope my pet peeves aren't the stuff he was responsible for..."

My collection isn't huge because they were so much more expensive than other companies, and my friends all proxy anyway, but I've got enough for a decent sized game. They did scale creep pretty bad with the resculpts though. They look great, much more so than the originals, but so huge...

And Reaper's CAV line is even bigger. I think the smallest 'mechs I have are Heavy Gear stuff.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 PM   #28
wolf90

Quote:
But hey, it contributed to my eventual discovery of Ogre, so that's a win. :D
And this is known as "A Good Thing!"

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 AM   #29
ColBosch

Quote:
Which leaves me sitting here thinking "Ohgod, I hope my pet peeves aren't the stuff he was responsible for..."
Seriously, don't worry about it. I just hope you're enjoying whatever games you're playing.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:30 AM   #30
Macunaima

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
I thought they were ASL.
Curiously enough, SFB is worse.
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote