Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Clipper

Default Re: Shadow Nose Paradox...

I just want to check something here... In Infamous Dope's example, you should still have time to play a curse between declaring you have lost and making the Run Away roll, right?

For example, if you were Level 4, cursed with Curse! Necrophobia and the Wight Brothers (Undead, will not pursue Level 3 or below) were added to your combat, couldn't you play a Lose a Level curse to ensure they don't actually chase you?

My reasoning is that Curse! Necrophobia tells you that you must start Running Away immediately, but it doesn't forbid you from playing cards that you could normally play while Running Away, and curses are perfectly valid in that time frame under normal circumstances.

I would tend to agree that it might not work for the Shadow Nose vs. Curse! B.O., though. If the above is correct, you should be able to curse yourself, but as you are Running Away and thus not in combat, it would only work in your next combat.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Blazinjsin

Sounds right to me

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
MunchkinMan

I've said more than enough times that there is no time for stuff like that. You have to Run Away and you have to deal with that before anything else. I'm not going to search for it now because I'm saying it here.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Clipper

OK thanks. Now I've learned that Curse! Necropohobia's effect to stop you playing cards keeps going until you have finished rolling for all the Undead monsters (or perhaps all the monsters?). All the previous rulings seem to have stated that you must immediately Run Away and I had assumed that to mean you must start Running Away rather than you must finish Running Away.

Are the interrupt cards and abilities like Loaded Die, sacrificing a Hireling or using the Wizard's Flight Spell blocked too, or do we have time to use them? I'd assume we can use them, but my assumptions clearly aren't working well for me today...
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
Infamous Dope

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but why does it say within the game rules that you can play a curse "AT ANY TIME", if in fact there are situations when you can't?

Last edited by Infamous Dope; 02-14-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Infamous Dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #16
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Curses aren't interrupts. Playing one in the middle of an action doesn't suspend that action until the Curse is resolved; you resolve the action first and then deal with the Curse.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #17
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Curses aren't interrupts. Playing one in the middle of an action doesn't suspend that action until the Curse is resolved; you resolve the action first and then deal with the Curse.
Ah, with that description it now all make sense to me. If we consider the effect of Curse! Necrophobia to be an action that tells us to Run Away from the monster/s, it won't resolve until after you have finished Running Away from it/them, which is why there is no time to play anything. Interrupting cards and abilities would clearly still work, like they would throughout any other action that they may interrupt.

I believe that clears up all the confusion I had regarding the card. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I've said more than enough times that there is no time for stuff like that. You have to Run Away and you have to deal with that before anything else. I'm not going to search for it now because I'm saying it here.
Not to be argumentative, but I do seem to recall some rulings along the lines of "it says you have to Run Away, but it doesn't say immediately, so you have some time to do something else first."

Is this a deliberate repudiation/reversal of such rulings in general, or a special-case exception? (Or has my memory gone on the fritz?)

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
MunchkinMan

I believe that we simplified that somewhere along the way. I know that we try to make it clear that we've changed the official viewpoint, and I thought Andrew had done so.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #20
Grej

Hello. Please, help me with next situation:
I have Necrophobia curse. I'm in combat and play Potion of Halitosis.
Then another player plays Shadow Nose as Wandering monster in this combat.
What happens?
1. Potion kills the Shadow Nose first, and I can continue combat and get level for nose in case of victory
2. Necrophobia works first and I must run away from first monster, but not from Shadow Nose, because it's killed by Potion of Halitosis. I don't get level for Nose because I lost the combat
3. Something else
Grej is offline   Reply With Quote