Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
Clipper

Default Re: When to discard during combat

Andrew, could you please comment on the cards that are both played and then discarded during a combat like Wandering Monster, curses that are played during the combat, or a Mate card that has been Charmed away by a Wizard? Would they return to players' hands when an "all cards played return to their owners," effect is resolved?

It makes things a lot simpler if they are covered by your discards are discards concept in the previous post as they seem to be, but they were played before that, so I just want to be sure. If we do treat them as pure discards so they don't come back, then we have no need for the quasi-discard pile we've been discussing, as I can't find any card that would needs to find cards that have been discarded during the combat, they all refer to cards played or cards that are still in play.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
Herpopotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Andrew, could you please comment on the cards that are both played and then discarded during a combat like Wandering Monster, curses that are played during the combat, or a Mate card that has been Charmed away by a Wizard? Would they return to players' hands when an "all cards played return to their owners," effect is resolved?

It makes things a lot simpler if they are covered by your discards are discards concept in the previous post as they seem to be, but they were played before that, so I just want to be sure. If we do treat them as pure discards so they don't come back, then we have no need for the quasi-discard pile we've been discussing, as I can't find any card that would needs to find cards that have been discarded during the combat, they all refer to cards played or cards that are still in play.
I think what he meant by "discards are discards" is cards which are discarded to fuel an ability. Cards that are played and then discarded are still played, so anything that reads something like "all cards played return to their owners" would affect them. Cards that are discarded without being played would not be affected by cards with the aforementioned text.

Last edited by Herpopotamus; 01-12-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Herpopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #23
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpopotamus View Post
I think what he meant by "discards are discards" is that cards which are discarded to fuel an ability. Cards that are played and then discarded are still played, so anything that reads something like "all cards played return to their owners" would affect them. Cards that are discarded without being played would not be affected by cards with the aforementioned text.
Yeah, that's why I asked. Unfortunately, if your interpretation is the case, then we need both the quasi-discard pile so we know the order of the cards in there AND we need to remember (by turning sideways or whatever) which ones of those quasi-discards were also played. Considering the 'return played cards' effects to only return the cards that are still played on the table is much easier from a bookkeeping perspective.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:03 AM   #24
Grej

Hallo. I have some questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The official answer is that cards that no longer affect the combat, such as Pollymorphed monsters, are discarded immediately, while cards that still do affect the combat, such as one-shots, stay until the combat is over.
Pollymorphed monster affects the combat result: it increases players' treasures if he win. Why it must be discarded?

And this situation:
Necromancer-Wizard (Supermunchkin) with Wand of dowsing and Pollymorph for example fights with two undead monsters, and one of them - Whispering Tyrant. He does next actions:
1. He pollymorphed Tyrant and discard it.
2. He uses Reanimation, returns Tyrant in combat, uses Wizard's Charm Spell and discards Tyrant again
3. He takes Tyrant by Wand of Dowsing and returns him in combat again. He kills both monsters and takes for Tyrant 12 Treasures.

Does it legally? It was one monster, which brought triple number of treasures!

Last edited by Grej; 11-25-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Grej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #25
Grej

Quote:
The official answer is that cards that no longer affect the combat, such as Pollymorphed monsters, are discarded immediately, while cards that still do affect the combat, such as one-shots, stay until the combat is over.

I eagerly* await the onslaught of "but this causes timing problems!" responses I am certain to get.

* Perhaps not so eagerly.
Hello, Andrew. Please, help.

You wrote, that cards that no longer affect the combat are discarded immediately. It means, that Pollymorph Potion and Transferral Potion must be discarded immediately, because they don't affect combat after their effects are completed.
But FAQ says: The one-shot card does not move to the discards until the battle is over.

So, what is correct in case of one-shots with single action (like Pollymorph potion)? When I must discard them?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #26
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

It's obvious that my statement needed more clarity, because you're chewing on it a full two and a half years later.

You don't have to actually DISCARD the cards, but the cards aren't able to be targeted by effects such as theft or monster enhancers or whatever.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #27
Grej

Quote:
It's obvious that my statement needed more clarity, because you're chewing on it a full two and a half years later.

You don't have to actually DISCARD the cards, but the cards aren't able to be targeted by effects such as theft or monster enhancers or whatever.

So, it means that Pollymorph and Transferral Potion must stay at the table till combat end, and can not be a traget for Wand of Dowsing, right?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #28
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grej View Post
So, it means that Pollymorph and Transferral Potion must stay at the table till combat end, and can not be a traget for Wand of Dowsing, right?
Yes, that's what I meant.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote