Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
tragich3r0

Default Need a ruling on a situation that occurred

Hi. I'm new to Munchkin and these forums, and need help on something. Okay, this is the scenario...

I was a level 9, and I pulled a monster I could easily defeat. No one enhanced the monster or anything like that. So, I'm thinking I just won. But then, my buddy plays a "Curse!, Lose a Level" card. Since we are both new to the game, I let him have it and played it like this. Since I beat the monster, I went up to Level 10, but since he hit me with that curse, I went back to 9.

Now my question is, should I have won that game? Or did we play it right by having me go back down to Level 9?
tragich3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Need a ruling on a situation that occurred

The game ends once you go to level 10. Munchkin doesn't have a stack/response mechanism, he couldn't say "before you go to level 10, I play this card".

If he wanted he could have played the card before you declared victory, that would be fair game, though.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Bampop

If you declared that you killed the monster and advanced to level 10, and then he tried to play the curse, he's too late. If you agree that he responded to your declaration of victory within a reasonable amount of time to stop you, then technically, you went back to level 8 before killing the monster.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
tragich3r0

Oh okay. Thanks for the quick responses.
tragich3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
The game ends once you go to level 10. Munchkin doesn't have a stack/response mechanism, he couldn't say "before you go to level 10, I play this card".

If he wanted he could have played the card before you declared victory, that would be fair game, though.
And it should be noted that you are REQUIRED by the rules to give him a "reasonable time" to do just that before you CAN declare victory.

If that chance HAS already been provided, nobody did anything, and you declared victory, it is then too late to say, "Oh, wait, I want to play this curse on you."
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curse, curse!, munchkin