Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Toltrin

Default Submit your personal maps of your home city in 1500m=1 hex format here!

Here is Portland, Oregon. This is my submission and your submission does not have to be exact or have to be converted. Just that it's scaled correctly and be interesting to play. Sometimes the best maps are the ones with history behind them...
I was working on the Seattle map (where a factory is) but I didn't want to print out 20+ pages for the 1500m = 1 hex format. I could have done it in 4 pages if certain scaling solutions were found (like every unit had 1 range).

On a humorous note check out this town...

Last edited by Toltrin; 05-06-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
offsides

Default Re: Submit your personal maps of your home city in 1500m=1 hex format here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltrin View Post
Here is Portland, Oregon. This is my submission and your submission does not have to be exact or have to be converted. Just that it's scaled correctly and be interesting to play. Sometimes the best maps are the ones with history behind them...
I was working on the Seattle map (where a factory is) but I didn't want to print out 20+ pages for the 1500m = 1 hex format. I could have done it in 4 pages if certain scaling solutions were found (like every unit had 1 range).

Nice - I'll have to see what Philadelphia looks like, but I suspect that it might be a bit more urban that I really want to deal with :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
selenite

Default Re: Submit your personal maps of your home city in 1500m=1 hex format here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Nice - I'll have to see what Philadelphia looks like, but I suspect that it might be a bit more urban that I really want to deal with :)
Any place important enough to fight over is probably too urban for a lot of players to want to fight in.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Luke Bunyip

Map the town gates, rather than the town itself. What I call the periurban fringe.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltrin View Post

Yeah, I've been working on a World War I game for ADC2 now for several months -- one of the places I mapped back when I was building the maps, of course, was the Baltic states. Had to include the town of Ogre in Latvia (at the confluence of the Ogre River and the Dvina River)!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
JLV

Really nice map of Portland. I just spent about 18 months in Oregon, and used to run up to Portland pretty regularly for various things. Your map brings back some fond memories of that. Thanks for sharing! Now, I think it's time to put a battalion of battlesuits in there and see if we can't burn us down some city! Yee Haa! :-)

(Edited to add: I should map the Florida Keys (I spent five years there towards the end of my military career fighting the drug war), but it wouldn't work very well since most of the islands are nowhere near a mile across. Still, the Seven-Mile Bridge (it really is, you know -- seven miles from end to end), which was used in True Lies as the scene for the big helicopter/car chase, would look pretty awesome!

Last edited by JLV; 05-07-2012 at 05:07 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
D351

Two towns I have in mind... Savannah, GA just because I live there and know the layout and Detroit because I've lived there and there are areas that I wouldn't send a manned anything in to deal with... Maybe Flint too, for similar reasons.
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
J. Durr

It might be interesting to map not just cities but any area that might produce interesting terrain. The Mississippi Delta, Holland, Siberia...
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
woodchuck

There's already a map of the San Francisco Bay Area on the Ogre page, I'm on the south west quarter. Remember it's double victory points for destroying your house. The Betuwe region of the Netherlands looks like a good place of a battle.
woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
J. Durr

Is there a quick way to make a map like this? I mean an easy way to take a given map and drop an Ogre-scale hexgrid on it such that it is easy to create a map based on the original map in the map generator. I am not an image pro so maybe this is a non-brainer for people.
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote