Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Claim to hospitality (earned by deeds)

So you've been around the wastelands, killing raiders, killing slavers, freeing slaves, lending your technical expertise to settlements, or any combination thereof. People who can afford it want to thank you in their own little ways by making life in the wastelands easier for you. So no matter where you go, there will always be a bed and breakfast free of charge.

So that's Claim to Hospitality, but if you have a claim to hospitality that doesn't obligates you to anything other than "don't commit crimes" because you've been a godsend to the people, how big is the modifier on the cost of Claim to Hospitality is it that you don't have to provide back, your deeds have basically paid the hospitality for the rest of your life unless you commit crimes? Not that it's that important because if my PCs will help the communities of the wastelands (they already made plans for building a radio network allowing settlements to communicate) they'll earn the advantage in play free of charge, but because I like things ordered, I'd like to know how much more points a Claim to Hospitality is worth if you're dispensed from reciprocating.

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:44 AM   #2
Daigoro

Default Re: Claim to hospitality (earned by deeds)

Is that CtH or Reputation?
Otherwise maybe it could be written as Contact Group (Wasteland Communities).
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:36 AM   #3
Anaraxes

The payback that's part of CtH is small. It's not "render all aid possible" if someone comes to the PCs. It's just the same claim they have on others -- better reaction, a crash pad, maybe a "small" emphasis-in-original loan.

From a meta point of view, taking out that bit means losing a potential intro / adventure hook, which is a bigger loss than having to put someone up once or twice for the sake of giving the trait some screen time.

I'd probably just put the CtH itself at risk. If the PCs don't uphold their end, and just become takers, that reputation spreads and counters their older heroic one. Making the CtH rolls gets harder -- narratively, they run into people that are less impressed with them, and have to be more persuasive, as the +3 bonus starts dropping. Eventually they've lost their Advantage in play because they haven't maintained it.

But if you want the PCs simply to have a permanent CtH and ignore the payback bit in the last paragraph, just play it that way. CtH is already a pretty cheap Advantage, so we're only taking about a CP or two worth of Enhancement at most. It's not going to break the game -- the more so as this is really one of those campaign advantages that benefits the whole party, and you could just require the entire Advantage for free (or equivalently, start the CP totals that much higher).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
jason taylor

One modifier that might be interesting is to have someone's kith and kin be able to cash in on this.

Another variation is to have it be a function of one's societies political position (American bomber crew picked up by Chinese guerilla's who don't like Japanese much for instance). I don't think that would be Ally, though.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
One modifier that might be interesting is to have someone's kith and kin be able to cash in on this.

Another variation is to have it be a function of one's societies political position (American bomber crew picked up by Chinese guerilla's who don't like Japanese much for instance). I don't think that would be Ally, though.
Wow. 'Don't like Japanese much' is a rather impressive level of understatement when it looks like you're talking about Chinese guerillas in WWII.

I do agree that something like that justifies CtH - indeed, CtH as a function of being part of that country's military, or an ally's military, is likely justifiable in a number of wars, especially if you're from a locally-popular branch.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I do agree that something like that justifies CtH - indeed, CtH as a function of being part of that country's military, or an ally's military, is likely justifiable in a number of wars, especially if you're from a locally-popular branch.
I wouldn't treat any of that as Claim to Hospitality. I'd treat it as a plot element derived from the situation in the campaign world. Mechanically I think it would be a reaction modifier applied at the GM's discretion.

Claim to Hospitality is really designed as a small personal advantage, a part of one character's life story, something that's different from "how the world works" (as in ancient Greek hospitality) or "enemies of the one Enemy" (as in Tolkien). When Galadriel gives presents to the Fellowship, it's not because they have a special character trait.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:18 AM   #7
Donny Brook

Canonically, exempting a trait from one of its included rules is Cosmic +50%.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Is that CtH or Reputation?
That's how I would treat it. What I like about reputation here is scalability. It allows you to go from "who are you again" to "bless my baby" over time.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
Vaevictis Asmadi

If you're going to use CtH with such an enhancement, I suggest also adding Pact (continue to make the wastelands safer for decent folks, don't commit crimes).

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Black Leviathan

I view Claim to Hospitality as being more formal of a social contract, such as the terms of your employment in a job that takes you city-to-city. Or written laws of etiquette that you will provide lodgings and fitting food to fellow servants of your king who keep alliance with your house. Or canonized tradition that wandering priests are provided bread and a mattress in any temple of their God. If it's the relieved outpost that you saved from raiders, that's really mechanically a different animal because that privilege could just as arbitrarily be lost if you offend them or your actions in the wasteland cause them distress. Also being a savior probably has a lot of miscellaneous perks beyond just a bed to crash in, like discounts at some of the businesses and some social regard. Like others I feel that that's more a function of reputation, very localized and very high, and not necessarily very easily recognized.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote