Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 06-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default A Bit Of Silliness In Honor Of The Isle Of Man TT

One of the salient drawbacks of racing on a 37-mile-long circuit: If someone has an accident, getting a medical team to him can be... difficult. To this end, the IoMTT has doctors on high-performance bikes with medkits rocketing along in the wake of the racers. (In a couple cases, unfortunately, the doctors themselves have become statistics....)

Pondering on this the other day, I whipped out the old _Sunday Drivers_ Pocket Box, and drew up this:

MediCycle: Hv. Cycle; Hv. susp.; Su. Cyc. PP; 2x Std. tire; driver. MG [F]; Medical Eq. [from _Sunday Drivers_]. Armor: F: 20; B: 25. $7,340; 1,300 lbs.

MediCycle Sidecar: Hv. S-car; Imp. susp.; Std. tire; SS [B]; passenger [2 sp. -- on stretcher]; Stretcher [from _Sunday Drivers_]. Armor: F, O: 3; B: 4. $1,150; 700 lbs.

Total: $8,490; 2,000 lbs. Acc.: 10; TS: 120; HC: 3.

The driver of this rig will have Paramedic skill, of course; his task is to get there quickly, get the patient stabilized, then get him to the hospital.

It's lightly armed, as it's not really supposed to engage in stand-up fights; the armor is good on the cycle, but could be better on the sidecar (any heavier, and it loses the Acc. 10). The tires are especially susceptible to gunfire. But then, this is a Medical vehicle, and it gets the same considerations as any Ambunaught (IOW: Shooting at Good Samaritans will get one all sorts of unwanted attention).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)
Default Re: A Bit Of Silliness In Honor Of The Isle Of Man TT

Have you played out any TT's in the CW world? I think they can be fun every once in a while!
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrey View Post
Have you played out any TT's in the CW world? I think they can be fun every once in a while!
Tried to, using a variant of _Turbofire_ -- honestly, _CW_ doesn't work very well for long-distance events; a lot of stuff has to be elided.

79er

Old 06-05-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

Oh yes, it'd have to be reduced in length for sure. :)

I know I haven't really done anything like that extensively, so I'd be interested in personally learning how to drive my vehicle through a course at high speeds (just how much to slow down, maneuver, fastest line through a corner relative to HS, etc.), rather just relying on my character's skill to get me through it.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
43Supporter

Quote:
Oh yes, it'd have to be reduced in length for sure. :)
Not just length -- how does one simulate stuff like the Ballough Bridge jump?

Quote:
I know I haven't really done anything like that extensively, so I'd be interested in personally learning how to drive my vehicle through a course at high speeds (just how much to slow down, maneuver, fastest line through a corner relative to HS, etc.), rather just relying on my character's skill to get me through it.
Well to start with: Find your nearest Sports Car Club of America track, and see if they're running "Track Night In America" -- it's a event where Hoi Polloi can show up and run laps, to see if they have any talent for the game. :)

79er

Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #6
swordtart

I tried running a race event (no guns) with one of the maps at the back of Duel Track.

We got about 2 hours and 1/4 of a lap round before we abandoned it as far too tedious. At the start we were jockeying for position (as you would) and so it had to be inch by inch by inch by... Sooo dull.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #7
josephrey

I'm picturing something challenging to the player. Heck, you don't even need OTHER players, it's something one could do on their own to work on their own gameplay. Set up a very short course, with tons of tight corners, and see how fast you can get through. And since we're still (I think) talking about TT's, send one car in at a time. Time Trial, Rally, whatever you want to call it. My aim would be to make the player better at playing, so everyone gets the same stock vehicle, same driver skill. Fastest time wins. This could even be a warmup to a bigger combat event, and this gets the winning player their preferred starting gate (or some such).
Old 06-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I tried running a race event (no guns)
Yep. That's why it's called Car Wars.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
josephrey

Racing CAN be fun and entertaining. The following is irrefutable proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05VXgM6KrhM

;)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
43Supporter

Quote:
Set up a very short course, with tons of tight corners, and see how fast you can get through.
I have that -- the "Beaverton Switchback": 6/10-mile course on *one* CW map sheet. To date, I am the only person to ever complete a lap on it.... :)

I first created it for a NOVA Championship event, to see if the rest of them could figure out why stuff like "HD Brakes" existed. End result: All four competitors crashed before completing the first lap, because not one of them could design a car using anything but "MOAR POWAAHHHHHHHHHH". In my more-vindictive moments, I like to claim it as "the only event where I won without even participating". >:)

Oh, and that event was a Division 5 race -- so no vehicle-mounted guns were allowed (rule was "1 space of vehicular weaponry per $15,000, rounded down"), so it also dealt with the "can a _Car Wars_ event be run sans firepower" question (it can, but it helps when the players have the sense Nature gave a rock). I also tried running some _Chassis & Crossbow_ races, but those didn't quite pan out.

79er