Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)
Default IF there were to be a Car Wars video game, what would you like to see?

Or NOT see?

Folk started talking about this in the Steam thread, but thought it might be cool to have a separate one.

This is something I've been fantasizing about for a long time and would love to see so many features that it'd probably be impossible to incorporate them all.

I'd love to see an open world game, with modern Car Wars elements mixed with a few remote Chassis & Crossbow areas. Arenas, couriers, cities, wastelands, truckstops, walled towns, Goldcross, garages, AADA offices, police, etc. Maybe some water and remote islands for future expansions. First-person and third-person play, as well as the ability to manage a team of AI duellists or gang members. Game play modes that can be arcade style or turn-based. A secret area that allows you to play the original CW game. Parts that wear and break down, fuel concerns, and resource collecting. Realistic personal equipment allowances (no way to carry 18 weapons). Performance enhancing drugs with advantages and (eventual withdrawal) disadvantages. A good number of the co-op and VS. options in any modern multiplayer online game.

Aaaand I know if a game were to appear it would be a good ways down the road, so what game features would you like to see that might not even exist yet?

Sorry, I (hopefully) could have worded this better. But I have about 30 seconds before heading out the door!
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
Racer

Default Re: IF there were to be a Car Wars video game, what would you like to see?

Camera POVs & freeze frame like those from Frontier: Elite II . Or the various camera options like those in Star Trek: Bridge Commander - both a bit old school , but simple is best ;-)
Old 05-21-2018, 12:14 AM   #3
Chernobyl

Default Re: IF there were to be a Car Wars video game, what would you like to see?

X-com style turn based movement, to mimic traditional game play. And then after the match, a replay in real time, that could be viewed from multiple points of view, such as aerial, or any driver's viewpoint...
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Fred Skin

Interstate 76 had the component parts & damage, flat tires, & field salvage, running out of ammo, armor locations, etc. So, an updated version of that is what I'd want if it was going to be an action game.

A straight mobile version of the board game would be awesome, too. With 3D terrain and all that.
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
X-com style turn based movement, to mimic traditional game play. And then after the match, a replay in real time, that could be viewed from multiple points of view, such as aerial, or any driver's viewpoint...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Skin View Post
Interstate 76... So, an updated version of that is what I'd want if it was going to be an action game.

A straight mobile version of the board game would be awesome, too. With 3D terrain and all that.
Heck yeah to all of the above. I'd love to see something where the players can opt for their favorite style of play: turn-based or full arcade. Some gamer friends might end up preferring one over the other. CW is interesting in that it allows folk to take ALMOST as much time as they need to think tactically (where I usually suffered), but I76 was closer to what the more real-time action in a CW world might actually be (where I usually excelled). It was fun (I have to admit) beating the friends who always beat me in CW rather handily in I76. I know that's not 100% in the spirit of a turn-based game (and would make for some extremely complicated coding), but the more skills you have the better? The more players the better too! In I76 we also played a few rule variants that work in an arcade game, but not as well in a turn-based game. One group was the Straight Shooters, which used fixed weapons that could only fire straight out from their facing (usually front and back-mounted). This allowed for a SIGNIFICANT dog-fight feel that never quite felt right trying to adapt to turn-based play. Capture The Flag was another, with cars being able to be re-spawned over and over. I wrote some rules for an arcade-inspired CW-styled version of CTF, but haven't tried it yet. (Maybe Jimmy would be down to try it via his PBEM games.) ;)

Dark Wind is a turn-based car combat video game, and has a very finite amount of time between turns. However, you typically only spend a few seconds deciding what to do: speed up or slow down, adjust steering, pick target(s). Click ready. Watch action play out. Then repeat. And ya! It was really rad being able to watch it in full time later, panning the camera around, selecting vehicles to follow, taking epic screenshots.

And double heck yeah to a mobile version. It would replace the unofficial versions out there, it would bring all players together to one place, you could take as long as you like to play (PBEM style), monthly rankings and leagues, and it would still be your wholesome, gut-wrenching, old-school Car Wars. Perhaps something like this could be the first version of the new era of CW video games? The other two above can follow later.
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Blue Ghost

I think I mentioned this in the other related thread, but I just want a straight port of the game with the original "classic" graphics, like the old Vassal mod had.

I think Ogre benefits from accelerated 3D graphics because it already had a legacy of having miniatures for its game. But CW, for me at lest, has always been a top down counter game with very cool top down graphics, and that's what I like. Maybe some sound effects and special effects for smoke, explosions, paint and the like, but otherwise I'd just prefer the game that I knew.

I think I would also like a good SP game, and a way to create campaigns or edit / build arenas or other settings. I think with that, and a built in set of cars and car designer, that you would essentially have a fully realized CW game with a defacto RP component built into it without having to create a lot of role playing rules.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:56 AM   #7
ak_aramis

I want to play the tabletop game on the computer, much like Blue Ghost. I wouldn't mind, however, the 3d rendered mode.

I also want it to run on Mac and on Android, tho'....
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote