Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
David Johnston2

Default [DF] Elves

The thought that struck me when I got a look at Dungeon Fantasy 3 is that the whole "elves are a dying race" thing doesn't really work given the amazing number of different elf races living in different environments. High elves may be a dying race but with all those offshoots the general category of "elf" is all over the place at least when it comes to places with low human population density. They've got high, wood, flying, sea, shadow, half, and mountain. What don't they have...so far?

Snow? I could see that. Pointy eared Elsas discouraging the northward homesteading with strategic blizzards...

Moon? Elves with pale skin and hair and good night vision

Sun? Desert Elves with dark skin and a gift for finding water...
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: [DF] Elves

Keebler? Excellent bakers, specializing in cookies. Halflings are very fond of them. Can create buff/debuff consumable foods.

Research? Find esoteric answers to questions you didn’t know were questions. Quite Interesting, really. Bonuses to figuring out what that is you’ve found. Not terribly stealthy as they tend to make loud noises when you’re obviously wrong about something.

Naked/Sexy? Highly sought after as models by artists, or as slaves by the less virtuous. Distractions abound and bullet-proof nudity.

Cobbler? Highly proficient at making shoes. Tend to help the elderly. Make the best shoes.

Toy-Making? Usually employed by elderly elves with a penchant for giving their products to virtuous children. Lone members can use their ability to create almost anything.

Neptunian? Four-armed servants of the evil Santa Robot.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
(E)

Hmm
I have an elven centric campaign at the moment
- High elves (Law)
- Twilight elves (observers)
- Arctic elves (prisoners)
- Beast folk (elves that can alter their children)
- Desert elves (Surrender immortality to embrace life), Nictating membrane
- Eldar (ancient and lawful)
- Sidhe (ancient and chaotic)
- Forest elves (no metal, little fire)

Sub types
- Elven lords and ladies.
- Elven blood in place of half elves

Other variations I've used
- Plains elves
- War
- Extreme wood elves, part plant.
- Elemental combinations
- other races as elves, types of trolls
- Magic affinity as an axis as well
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
Humabout

Musical Elves: Some real party animals and consumate bards.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
talonthehand

I had done a desert elf template a while back - it worked well in play.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...58&postcount=4
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

Elves could be evolving themselves into extinction through overspecialization. If each group of elves is a different species incapable of interbreeding with other elf groups (though inexplicably able to interbreed with humans), then each elf species risks extinction because they might only have an average of a few hundred thousand members. Or if they have low fertility within each subspecies and have difficulty growing in population unless they crossbreed outside their subspecies, then every elf lost in conflict might take decades or centuries to replace through normal breeding. In any case, it is fluff in DF.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
(E)

Yeah, I removed Genetics as a reason why elves are different from one another in my Elf centric game.

Breed stability in animals requires something like 100,000 individuals.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
edk926

Myths have Elves living several hundreds of years. They also tend to be represented with human-esque sized families. This would indicate that they either have only a short reproductive window and/or long gaps in between periods of fertility ... or possibly have a panda-like general lack of reproduction drive.

Or maybe environmental issues can lead to fertility issues.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Elves could be evolving themselves into extinction through overspecialization. If each group of elves is a different species incapable of interbreeding with other elf groups (though inexplicably able to interbreed with humans), then each elf species risks extinction because they might only have an average of a few hundred thousand members. Or if they have low fertility within each subspecies and have difficulty growing in population unless they crossbreed outside their subspecies, then every elf lost in conflict might take decades or centuries to replace through normal breeding. In any case, it is fluff in DF.
Or, for a more conspiratorial touch, some of the ancient Elves have bred humans to be capable of interbreeding with Elves, because they saw this coming, and humans are a stop-gap method to correct the error. Through some magical process, they'll be able to have half-elves breed together to create full elves when the process is completed.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

Or you could have it that a half-elf that breeds with a elf possesses the fertility of humans but half of their children are half-elves and half of their children elves. That way, an elf would breed with a human and their half-elf children would breed with elves to create more half-elves and elves. In effect, the elf phenotype would be recessive genetic complex.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote