Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
Anders

Default [Sorcery] A generalized Detect spell

I want a spell that lets me specify something and then let me get the direction and distance to the closest object. This spell does not include the ability to analyze what is sensed, and you cannot exclude known sources.

The closest I can think of is Modular Ability: Cosmic (with a pretty heavy limitation since you can only get one advantage), but it will be hugely expensive. Is there any other way to do it?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: [Sorcery] A generalized Detect spell

Psionic Powers has the Seekersense ability [p42-43] which uses different forms of Modular Ability with Limited, Trait, Detect, -50%. So that seems like a reasonable place to start.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Psionic Powers has the Seekersense ability [p42-43] which uses different forms of Modular Ability with Limited, Trait, Detect, -50%. So that seems like a reasonable place to start.
I agree, using Seekersense as a base for a Detect [noun] spell I would use
Slotted Cosmic Power (Limited, Trait, Detect with Vague, -55% ; Sorcery, -15% ) [3.6+1.5/level]
It would cost [12] for Rare detects, [19] for Occasional, [34] for Common and [49] for Very Common. Of course the final cost would then be 20% of this due to being an Alternate Ability.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
munin

I think it makes more sense to put the Sorcery limitation on the allocated Detect advantage rather than on the Modular Ability -- that way you spend 1 FP every time you try to detect something (the actual magic), rather than every time you decide on what to detect. The Modular Ability doesn't even really need to be mana-sensitive or anything since the allocated ability then can't be used without magic.

And the OP wants direction and distance, so Vague is out and Precise is in.

Slotted Cosmic Power 1 (9) (Limited, Trait, Detect Rare with Precise and Sorcery, -50%) [26]. The allocated ability takes the form of Detect (Rare; Nuisance Effect, Can't Exclude Known Sources/Closest Source Only, -5%*; Precise, +100%; Sorcery, -15%) [9].

The Long-Range enhancement (p. P108) would probably be useful too.

* A guesstimated value.

EDIT: Actually, to keep the 2-manuever aspect of Sorcery, probably should add Reduced Time to the modular ability: Slotted Cosmic Power 1 (9) (Limited, Trait, Detect Rare with Precise and Sorcery, -50%; Reduced Time 1, Instantaneous, +20%) [37].

Last edited by munin; 09-08-2015 at 03:03 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its worth noting that detect categories don't just get broader as they grow in power, they also get more discriminating. If I have detect metal, I can not only sense metal but also sense what kind of metal it is. If you can't distinguish between metals, the ability ought to be worth less.

I think someone (official) somewhere said something about what the fair price to charge for not being able to sort through the broad category, but I don't know where it is. It is NOT the vauge limitation, which removes direction and certainly should not be part of this advantage.

Direction comes with the basic advantage and is removed by vague. Distance requires the precise enhancement.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery, spells as powers