Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Dwarf99

Default [DF] Power Item

I want to include an Artifact from Final Fantasy in a DF game I'm running. I've calculated its value at approximately 106K. DF 1 suggests that I shouldn't fuss too much over the math, so am I supposed to leave it at 40 FP or what?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: [DF] Power Item

Keeping strictly to rules as written, yeah, Power Items seem to top out at 40 points. However, as the GM you can assign whatever value you darn well feel like. Based on the loose progression of that table I'd peg $106K as giving somewhere in the ballpark of 50-60 energy.

In fact, looking through DF6: Artifacts, there are examples of Power Items granting more than 40 FP (such as the Mythic Corselet, 45 FP, or Sun Armor, 50 FP).

Last edited by vierasmarius; 11-12-2014 at 09:56 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

The Energy held in a Power Item is determined by the cost of an equivalent Powerstone, (without the labor cost) using the equation :

(40 * fp + 10 * fp^2)*(54/53)^fp

Do not forget that this is based on the item's value as if it were a non-magical item (The value of it's enchantments don't count).

If it is worth 106K, and you round to 5 energy steps like the table in DF1, then it holds 60 energy as a Power item.

Continuing the table....

Value - FP
$51,000 - 45 Energy
$69,000 - 50 Energy
$91,000 - 55 Energy
$118,000 - 60 Energy
$151,000 - 65 Energy
$192,000 - 70 Energy

But I suppose that is fussing over the math...
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
The Energy held in a Power Item is determined by the cost of an equivalent Powerstone, (without the labor cost) using the equation :

(40 * fp + 10 * fp^2)*(54/53)^fp

Do not forget that this is based on the item's value as if it were a non-magical item (The value of it's enchantments don't count).

If it is worth 106K, and you round to 5 energy steps like the table in DF1, then it holds 60 energy as a Power item.

Continuing the table....

Value - FP
$51,000 - 45 Energy
$69,000 - 50 Energy
$91,000 - 55 Energy
$118,000 - 60 Energy
$151,000 - 65 Energy
$192,000 - 70 Energy

YOINKED. My players thank you. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

The Energy held in a Power Item is determined by the cost of an equivalent Powerstone, (without the labor cost)
Yes, it's the minimum value of an item that could hold that much energy as a Powerstone. It uses mundane item value before any magic. There's some rounding for nice figures, but that's basically it. And the recharge cost is just the price to cast Manastone, since power items are essentially that. All the other weirdness about being able to have just one, use only your own, designate a replacement, charge only in town, etc. is beside the issue of cost, and there for "feel."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yes, it's the minimum value of an item that could hold that much energy as a Powerstone. It uses mundane item value before any magic. There's some rounding for nice figures, but that's basically it. And the recharge cost is just the price to cast Manastone, since power items are essentially that. All the other weirdness about being able to have just one, use only your own, designate a replacement, charge only in town, etc. is beside the issue of cost, and there for "feel."
Let me ask then, what would you consider a fair cost for a) a recharging power item similiar to how the reserves from Treasure Tables work and b) having more than a single power item at once?

Become a Patron!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Let me ask then, what would you consider a fair cost for <snip> and b) having more than a single power item at once?
I can't evaluate the other, but this one, I wouldn't allow, just because it's explicitly forbidden.

Quote:
<snip>
Continuing the table....

Value - FP
$51,000 - 45 Energy
$69,000 - 50 Energy
$91,000 - 55 Energy
$118,000 - 60 Energy
$151,000 - 65 Energy
$192,000 - 70 Energy

No it isn't :D
Not for me anyway.

Quote:
Thank you both :D

One other question though: does This One Goes to 11 change anything?

Last edited by Dwarf99; 11-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Let me ask then, what would you consider a fair cost for a) a recharging power item similiar to how the reserves from Treasure Tables work and b) having more than a single power item at once?
a) Since a recharging reserve costs double that of a dedicated reserve, I would say just halve the effective monetary value of an item before comparing it to the table, or say it requires additional funds equal to it's intrinsic value in order to prepare it as a recharging power item. Either way, it should end up costing double.

b) There is no precedent I can think of, so any answer would be pretty arbitrary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Thank you both :D

One other question though: does This One Goes to 11 change anything?
You're welcome... and I'm not familiar with "This one goes to 11" so I can't help there.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

I don't believe that (a) has any fair cost . . . it could easily be gamed for "infinite energy," and it's a basic premise of DF that however many points you earn, you must still resupply. Removing that control means turning the PCs into gods, and as the series creator, I'd simply say "no" in print. If you dislike that, call the "spell" a 100-point godlike power similar to being able to teleport when the game normally forbids that (DF 11, p. 37). List it as an Unusual Background.

As for (b), that amounts to being able to turn, say, two $1,100/8 FP items into the equivalent of one $4,300/16 FP item, saving a fair bit of money. The illogical extreme is stuff like 40 $50/1 FP items providing 40 FP for $2,000 instead of the $37,000 usually needed for that much energy. Having all the energy in one place permits bigger single spells, but that's not usually much of a limitation. Thus, I'd say it amounts to giving the spellcaster an open-ended pile of cash . . . I'd price it at 50 points, like Filthy Rich, at least. If it's paid per source rather than for "however many sources I like," I might relent and charge 15 points per extra power item. These amount to Unusual Backgrounds in the vein of Invention (p. B477) or Artifact (DF 6, p. 20).
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I don't believe that (a) has any fair cost . . . it could easily be gamed for "infinite energy," and it's a basic premise of DF that however many points you earn, you must still resupply. Removing that control means turning the PCs into gods, and as the series creator, I'd simply say "no" in print. If you dislike that, call the "spell" a 100-point godlike power similar to being able to teleport when the game normally forbids that (DF 11, p. 37). List it as an Unusual Background.
Very cool. Hmmm. Maybe make it a special form of artifact then since it has no real fair cost.

Quote:
As for (b), that amounts to being able to turn, say, two $1,100/8 FP items into the equivalent of one $4,300/16 FP item, saving a fair bit of money. The illogical extreme is stuff like 40 $50/1 FP items providing 40 FP for $2,000 instead of the $37,000 usually needed for that much energy. Having all the energy in one place permits bigger single spells, but that's not usually much of a limitation. Thus, I'd say it amounts to giving the spellcaster an open-ended pile of cash . . . I'd price it at 50 points, like Filthy Rich, at least. If it's paid per source rather than for "however many sources I like," I might relent and charge 15 points per extra power item. These amount to Unusual Backgrounds in the vein of Invention (p. B477) or Artifact (DF 6, p. 20).
I like it! Thank you. :-)

Become a Patron!