Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
Justa

Default Potion Containers

Excuse me if this has been asked & answered, but I got eye strain & could not find this information in the new ITL rules.
What kind of container does a typical potion come in? I'm worried about breakage of the container during combat or by some other mishap.
Can I buy a metal potion container?
Justa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Potion Containers

Just enchant your potion bottles with the Immunity to Break Weapons enchantment that is mentioned on pages 24 and 42 and doesn't exist.

But only gas bombs and molotails are required to be carried in fragile containers as per page 124. Healing potions can apparently be poured into a standard canteen.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Just enchant your potion bottles with the Immunity to Break Weapons enchantment that is mentioned on pages 24 and 42 and doesn't exist.

But only gas bombs and molotails are required to be carried in fragile containers as per page 124. Healing potions can apparently be poured into a standard canteen.
Immunity is mentioned actually on p. 157 of the ITL pdf "Enchanging Objects with Immunity Spells". But, yeah, there is no immunity to breaking. Makes sense actually.

Last edited by platimus; 11-12-2018 at 08:54 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa View Post
Excuse me if this has been asked & answered, but I got eye strain & could not find this information in the new ITL rules.
What kind of container does a typical potion come in? I'm worried about breakage of the container during combat or by some other mishap.
Can I buy a metal potion container?
I would assume they come in small vials of thick glass or ceramics and not worry about them breaking except in situations where they obviously would/should.

However, I often wonder why alchemists don't make magic pills, powders, tablets, or wafers instead. I suppose no one is willing to pay for the extra time it would take to boil away the water in a potion - reducing it to a powder that can be added to a cup of water. Or you could kneed that powder into a small bit of dough and let the dough dry-out to make a tablet. Or bake it into a cracker or wafer. The baking would probably reduce the effectiveness of the active ingredients though.

Last edited by platimus; 11-12-2018 at 08:56 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
However, I often wonder why alchemists don't make magic pills, powders, tablets, or wafers instead. I suppose no one is willing to pay for the extra time it would take to boil away the water in a potion - reducing it to a powder that can be added to a cup of water. Or you could kneed that powder into a small bit of dough and let the dough dry-out to make a tablet. Or bake it into a cracker or wafer. The baking would probably reduce the effectiveness of the active ingredients though.
They do make all that you describe. However much they try and sell these other forms to adventurers, Adventurers don't want to hear about them. They seem to only want liquid potions. I guess Adventurers are a hard group to try new things out.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
They do make all that you describe. However much they try and sell these other forms to adventurers, Adventurers don't want to hear about them. They seem to only want liquid potions. I guess Adventurers are a hard group to try new things out.
Ha! So true! My magic powder business dried-up! Curse those fool-hardy adventurers! LOL
Old 11-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
Skarg

Justa, welcome to the forums!

This is a very good question. It's important, but it's up to the GM. I tend to assume they are in a flask of either glass or ceramic, and are fragile (like molotails are, which do have some rules about breakage), and that transferring them to another container would require a roll which is tricky if you lack the appropriate talent. If you're hiring someone to make potions for you, you could have it start in a container type you provide or pay for.

And/or, a GM might rule it needs to be glass or crystal to prevent the potion reacting with the container.

(Those who do want different potion forms, and rules for them, can check out GURPS Magic, where indeed various potions can be had in a variety of forms - liquid, powder, pastille, or unguent.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
Shadekeep

It is an excellent question. I would posit that glass is the most common because it is the most inert, reaction-wise. Ceramics and porcelain with a neutral glaze would be a close second. Terracotta has a tendency to interact with some ingredients, but makes for a very inexpensive container and one that is easily within reach of more primitive cultures. Terracotta is probably more suited to herbal potions or tinctures (potions with an alcohol base). Metal, as others have mentioned, is likely to be quite reactive with some compounds, again depending on the alloy.

If you have a lot of money and can find an artisan skilled enough, you could get a glass-walled metal flask, which would give you the best of both worlds. It would be pricey and uncommon though, as well as heavier. Another expensive but neutral container could be a flask made of carved crystal (such as quartz or diamond) or stone (such as jade or marble). Depending on the mineral it could be fairly durable.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote