Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #21
Joe

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm noodling around with making a model of caverntown in Blender
Do it! That would be fun to see. I must admit that, despite all the reasons not to make a map of the place (reasons which Kromm goes through in the supplement itself), I'd still find a map more helpful than harmful.

Last edited by Joe; 04-07-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #22
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Assuming the rough default of a 1.25mi (2km) on a side space for Caverntown, and not fiddling with the ratio of height to x-y dimensions, how high is the dome ceiling of the cavern?
The cavern is described as a "vast hemisphere" and we know that it is circular because the walls are 500 yards from each of the four gates to the square city. Since we know that the city is 2200 yards across (1.25 miles), the diameter of the cavern is 3200 yards. If the cavern is a true hemisphere, then the ceiling should rise half that height from the center of town (the shaft). So that's 1600 yards, 4800 feet, or about 0.9 miles. Plenty of room for dogfights and satisfying splats.

There is one wrinkle in the description: it says that the floor "meets the dome's descending sides at an acute angle." This suggests that the cavern might be somewhat less than a perfect hemisphere (with the floor above the "equator" of the theoretical sphere). So one could take 1600 yards as the maximum ceiling height of the default cavern, but you could reduce it if it seems too spacious.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #23
Dalin

I don't have nearly the math chops of some of the folks around here, but a hemisphere is at my level of napkin trig. (Still, I hope someone checks my work!)

Based on the hemisphere radius of 1600 yards, I calculated the ceiling height at the corner towers (50 yards from the cavern edge, 1550 yards from the center) to be roughly 400 yards or 1200 feet. So no problem having tall towers. Above the gates at the center of each wall (500 yards from the cavern edge, 1100 yards from the center), the height would be 1162 yards / 3500 feet.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #24
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The default city plan is a perfect square 1.25 miles on a side (Where's the Map?, p. 6). That's an even 2,200 yards across. The gates in the center of each side of the Barricade (p. 7) are described as being "about 500 yards from the cavern walls." That gives the Great Cavern a diameter of ~3,200 yards.

(You could also look at the diagonal: √(1.25² + 1.25²) = 1.76 miles = 3,098 yards. The four corners are described as being "a mere 50 yards from it." That gives a cavern diameter of 3,198 yards . . . which is still ~3,200 yards at the assumed precision.)

If the Great Cavern were a true hemisphere with the city sitting on a plane slicing a sphere in two, that would make the ceiling ~1,600 yards tall (i.e., equal to the cavern's radius). However, "the cavern floor [...] meets the dome's descending sides at an acute angle" (The Great Cavern, p. 6), so it isn't that spacious. That is, the cavern floor isn't a plane that slices a sphere in half. While the ceiling and walls describe "the surface of a vast hemisphere," it's never stated what percentage of that hemisphere is open space.

Looking at the stairs described under The Shaft (p. 6), I assumed the walking speed of a fit person marching with purpose – i.e., a guard or adventurer – is Move 2 (2 yards/second, or ~4 miles/hour), which tends to be what GURPS assumes elsewhere is a brisk walk (see, for instance, Invisibility Art, p. B202). I further used the standard approximation that stairs cost +1 movement point per hex (p. B387), with the idea that as in ranged combat, the implied slope is around 45°. Thus, Move 2 behaves like Move 1 upward and Move 1 forward, and so the stated 25-minute journey is a climb of 25 minutes × 60 seconds/minute × 1 yard/second = 1,500 yards, not 1,600 yards.

Moreover, some of that distance is passage through the Great Cavern's stone ceiling. That isn't thin, because it's mountainside that supports forts and so on despite being riddled with tunnels and caverns. Still, we don't want that acute angle to be too acute or you'll be bumping your head! So the part of the stairs that disappears up into a little hole in the ceiling spans at least a few stories. I'd put the zenith of the cavern ceiling – above Town Square – at between 1,400 and 1,500 yards.

As Where's the Map? notes, "The GM may adjust the ratio of cavern diameter to height, too; the greater this is, the more oppressive the space will feel." Thus, it's up to the GM to decide whether caverns nearly a mile deep make sense in the setting. That said, note that this isn't the same as "almost a mile below sea level" – Fort Caverntown is up a mountain and well above sea level! Rather, it's "almost a mile below the surface."

For those preoccupied with atmospheric effects: At GURPS' resolution, you would run into these only if the fort were at least 2,000 yards above sea level (p. B429) or the cavern floor were at least a mile below sea level (GURPS Underground Adventures, p. 13). So if you split the difference and have the fort be 800 yards above sea level (comparable to São Paulo) and the cavern floor be 800 yards below sea level, you could accommodate the above assumptions without worrying excessively about pressure at the resolution likely to matter for hack 'n' slash fantasy.

In short, there's really nothing preventing impressive magically built skyscrapers in Caverntown. As Buildings (p. 7) notes, "most structures rise at least two stories above the street. Many are higher, their height reflecting the owners' wealth and status." The only restriction, if you want to call it that, is that the Wizards' Guild tower remain the "tallest structure after The Shaft and the Eight Titans" (p. 21). Likewise, aerial adventures above the city are entirely plausible, and there's even a flying species native to the Great Cavern (p. 12).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #25
Blind Mapmaker

Now that's what I call support for all the niche interests.

For me it's more important to know when it is permitted to use the stairs? Because the staircase is described as auxiliary and off-limits to visitors in the Fort Caverntown section. Does that mean native inhabitants of Caverntown may use it or is it open only to guards and in emergencies? And what kind of emergencies would that be? If the town is attacked, you probably don't want citizens gallivanting on the perfect sniper platform. It certainly would make for an epicspot to watch a zombie apocalpyse unfold and engulf the town.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #26
Refplace

My review is up.
https://refplace.blogspot.com/2018/0...averntown.html
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #27
SolemnGolem

Bought and downloaded - will post thoughts later.

I just wanted to echo the others in wishing Dr. Punch a speedy resolution to any of his difficulties, and thanks for continuing to feed our ravening appetites for all things GURPS.

Also, it's pretty amazing that Denis Loubet is illustrating GURPS products. I first saw his illustrations in the player's guide to the Ultima IV video game...
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:59 AM   #28
SCAR

How much of "Traits for Town" from Pyramid #3/58: Urban Fantasy is covered in this volume?
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #29
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post

How much of "Traits for Town" from Pyramid #3/58: Urban Fantasy is covered in this volume?
Very little. That material went into GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 17: Guilds, which is highly recommended as a companion to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown. (In fact, I mention it something like 20 times!)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #30
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I hope you manage the best you can with whatever you are going through at the moment Kromm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I wish you all the best, Sean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I hope your real life issues are resolved well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Also hoping for the best for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I just wanted to echo the others in wishing Dr. Punch a speedy resolution to any of his difficulties
Thanks, everyone . . . and sorry to do what would be called "vaguebooking" over in Zuckerland. My intention was to express thanks for the positive reception, not to drum up concern! It suffices to say that I'm not coping with health problems or a loved one's death, but rather tribulations of a more emotional, social, and fiscal nature (and thus not stuff I'm inclined to splash all over these forums).

Tags
dungeon fantasy