Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Trsevener

Default Extending A Combat After An Auto-Kill

If you are in a combat and have a card to auto-kill a monster, can the combat be extended? As I understand after any monster is killed your opponents still have time to interfere with the combat. I believe that would extend to an auto-kill.

You are in combat versus a monster and auto-kill it immediately. I would think no Monster Enhancers could be played and no pile-on features it may have had (Undead / Shark / etc.) would be able to be activated because it was killed.

I believe a Wandering Monster card could be used to bring in another Monster to the combat.

What about One-Shot Items? Many of them say they can be added to either side of a combat, and the combat is still going for a reasonable period after the auto-kill. Can your opponents start throwing One-Shot items into a combat with no Monsters alive in the combat?

What about if you are in combat versus one Monster and the One-Shot Items have already been played. If you do an auto-kill at that point, I would see the Monster and any Monster Enhancers played to it being removed. What about any One-Shot Items already played during the combat? Does the Monster side combat strength go to zero, or does it just go down the amount of the Monster plus any Monster Enhancers and the total for the One-Shot Items becomes the new Monster side combat strength?

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Extending A Combat After An Auto-Kill

1: Per Andrew, Erik and others, you can always wander in a monster, via a wandering monster. (Dogpile, ect....)
2:The monster is gone, I would think that the monster enhancers and One Shots would go with them.
3: No Monster to play it on? No, there has to be a Monster to play it on.
4: Why would you worry about it's strength? The One Shots would go with it, if ya killed it, It's dead, Jim. Take it's Treasure and run!

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Trsevener

Pat, I agree with a lot of what you say. It is just the wording on the One-Shot Items that nags at me. Many say they are played on either side of a combat, not on a monster. So even if the monster is killed and removed from the combat the combat is still there, so why would the One-Shot Items be removed?

I understand if the Monster is auto-killed its Combat Strength would be removed, but it is the One-Shot Items that I question. If they were in play when a monster was auto-killed, wouldn't these remain in the combat and be added if another monster is wandered into the combat?

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Problem is, once that monster is removed, there is no "monster side". It over. Adding a new monster to the combat, that one is touchy, but I would still say the one shots left with the original monster.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Mister Ed

I'm pretty sure the One-shots stick around as long as the combat isn't over yet. If another Monster is added, then they still count. Now, without a Monster, the one-shots ALONE can't "defeat" the Munchkin in combat, even if they total more than his/her combat strength. They only count while there is a Monster there to defeat, but they don't get discarded until the end of combat.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote