Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #1
HolmeG

Default Pathfinder vs. Legends vs. Conan

Hi there,

Looking for some info on the 'other' Fantasy core sets: Pathfinder, Legends and Conan.

1. Which of them are the most fun for a player who haven't played Pathfinder RPG and aren't too familiar with the Conan universe?
2. Which of them play the best (which is the most balanced)?
3. Which of them is the most difficult/easy for a new gamer?
4. What is your overall opinion on the three sets compared to each other?

Thanks in advance!
HolmeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Pathfinder vs. Legends vs. Conan

Wow, not a fair question really, but to attempt, with your criteria,

Legends
Conan
Pathfinder

Legends only difficulty is that it may give you to many of the same Classes and Races.
Conan's only difficulty is that it plays hard. (Yes, Andy and James, I love the Bad Stuff in this set).
Pathfinder's only difficulty is not enough Goblins.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Mister Ed

Legends obviously doesn't require any knowledge of Conan or Pathfinder.
I like it quite a lot, and it blends seamlessly with Fantasy Munchkin, since it has the same Classes and Races (which could be seen a weakness, I suppose, if you wanted something new).

I've never played Pathfinder, so I can't speak to that.

Conan, from my admittedly limited experience, is a good game in terms of gameplay, but didn't feel like Munchkin to me, due to the lack of humor compared to other sets. It isn't DEVOID of humor by any means, but a lot of the stuff in there is just taken straight from Conan (since it IS a licensed set, not a parody), and therefore not humorous at all, IMHO. In a typical Munchkin set the Monsters are one of the most humorous parts of the set. In Conan, many of the monsters are just things taken straight from Conan. This seriously damages the humor factor for me, and since I'm not a Conan fan it doesn't replace the humor with references that interest me, personally.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleydotes View Post
Pathfinder's only difficulty is not enough Goblins.
Easily remedied with the Gobsmacked booster pack :)

I like all three sets, and I've never played Pathfinder RPG, or seen the new Conan movie. My preference is, in order:
  1. Pathfinder
  2. Conan
  3. Legends

I love Munchkin Pathfinder, mostly for the awesome classes and factions it has. My second favorite is Conan, even though its Races are kind of bland in terms of powers (all of them are +2 if you are a certain Class, and you may use any items of a certain type regardless of other limitations, which is all well and good, but it makes them feel very same-y). The addition of Birthrights is nice, and I like the Items and monsters in the set. Legends is cool, but its similarity to regular Munchkin means it doesn't really stand out in my mind, which is why it's 3rd on my list. I like variety :)

What we've done lately is shuffle all the fantasy-backed cards we have together, which includes Pathfinder, Conan, Legends, and Munchkin 1-8. It leads, of course, to madness and mayhem, so it's totally awesome :)

Just my 2 cents. You really can't go wrong whichever one you pick, though :)
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
elib12

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post. I am new to the munchkin world and I just purchased the Pathfinder set. My question is if I mix it with the regular version, can you have a race, class and a faction? Does the faction count as a race or is it its own entity?
elib12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by elib12 View Post
I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post. I am new to the munchkin world and I just purchased the Pathfinder set. My question is if I mix it with the regular version, can you have a race, class and a faction? Does the faction count as a race or is it its own entity?
You can have one of each. Each one is separate. That doesn't mean that you can have one class from regular and one from pathfinder, though.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote