Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Bane Root

Default GURPS-Malazan Book of The Fallen

I'm running an online game using the GURPS system in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of The Fallen series. Anyone interested please contact me or go to http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=2288...ate=1177027449
and request to join. We have five players, but can always use more.
Bane Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
alimantando

Default Re: GURPS-Malazan Book of The Fallen

I would be more interessted in if you use speciell rules. And what they may be.
How does the warrens work and what are you stats for a T'Lan Imas or a Jaghut. I would realy like to see that.

But on the other hand, if all the players know the setting it ist not realy neccessery to write that down explicitly.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Bane Root

what do you mean by "special rules"?
We are using our own magic system via Modular Ability.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
Bane Root

For example, we won't be using the GURPS magic system as I don't feel that it has the right "feel" of magic in the Malazan world. Rather., I will be using a more complicated, yet flexible approach using the Modular Ability Advantage. It is a little complicated so bear with me.

MAGIC/Modular Ability - limited to aspect Warren (-15%)
- Costs Fatigue 1 (-5%)
- Magic based (-10%)
- Limited use/duration 1/1second (-30%)
- Activation roll (-20%)

So for a Warren capable of 20 points of Magic/Modular Ability it would cost 40 points.

Here is where it gets complicated.
Rather then have set "spells", the mage can create effects based on his/her aspected Warren, and MODIFIED by the various modifiers listed in the GURPS-Characters book.

For example:
a Mage with a 20 point D'riss Warren (path of Earth) wants to create a Stone skin spell.

He takes the basic advantage Damage Resistance with a cost of 5 per 1 point of DR for 6 DR and a cost of 30 points. This is 50% more then his 20 point Warren, so he has to modify the cost.

Additionally, since the basic rules of magic are that there is a Limited use/duration of 1/1second he must also modify it for EXTENDED DURATION. If he wants his Stone Skin spell to last for 100 seconds (extended duration x100) it will modify his spell by +80%.

Therefore, with his 20 point Warren, he has 50% (from the 10 points above his Warrens capability) plus an additional +80% from the extended duration, for a total of +130% that he has to "buy down" using limiting modifiers.

There are a number of ways of "buying down" the costs of spells.
-For every Fatigue Point spent above the required 1, a -10% is applied to the cost of the spell. For our Mage of D'riss to cast his Stone Skin spell using only Fatigue points, it would cost him 13 FP. A huge expenditure for a 100 second spell.
-For each minus one to your Activation roll (straight IQ plus Magery) apply a -5% to the spell cost (keep in mind that if you fail your activation roll the fatigue cost is doubled and that a critical failure results in double the fatigue cost in HP damage)
-Additional modifiers can be found in the Basic Set- Characters book pg# 110-116
For example, if our Mage of D'riss spent an hour perparing the spell, a -50% could be applied to the spell cost, or if the spell made the Mage's skin thick and rock like so that he couldn't wear armour, the Can't Wear Armour modifier could be applied for -40%.

So if our Mage spent 8 FP (-80%) and spent an hour preparing the spell (-50%) he could create a Stone Skin spell that provided 6DR for 100 seconds.

It's a little complicated, but works really well in play.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:59 AM   #5
TheQuestionMan

Game Resources for Malazan Books of the Fallen Campaign Setting.

Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

Malazan Empire Tale of the Malazan Books of the Fallen
http://www.malazanempire.com/site/index.shtml

Malazan Forums
http://www.malazanempire.com/forums/

Encylopaedia Malazica
http://encylopaediamalazica.pbwiki.com/

Cheers

QM
Old 05-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
NorthSaber

Our magic systems are actually quite similar - I too use Modular Abilities based on certain aspects or "colleges", and if a 'spell' is more expensive cp-wise than the Modular Ability could handle, the cost is reduced by taking a higher fatigue cost or casting-type limitations such as preparation required.

Basically I'm using Spirit Trapping (from Fantasy) which can be used either as fetishes (with gadget limitations) or ritual scarring/tattoo. Here's a sample write-up:

REMNANT SKULL (-30%): Modular Ability (Spirit Trapping, focus) 15 point pool (Physical also, +100%; Limited Use 4/day, -20%; Takes extra time 2, -20%; Costs 4 fatigue, -20%; Requires will roll, -5%; Breakable DR 4, -15%; Not repairable, -15%; SM -5, -10%; can be stolen by ST vs ST, thief cannot use, -15%) [40].

Note the +100% for Physical - most fantasy-type spell effects count as physical, such as the DR in your example. The will roll required is modified by Spirit Talent and gets a bonus from Spirit Empathy, but note that I don't allow characters to simply buy a high Will (haven't decided on the exact rules for this though).

I'm also not quite sure yet as to whether I should apply some limitation such as your Magic based -10%... Theoretically the bound spirits could be released or somehow manipulated, but I think this will be rare enough to be used more as a plot device than an everyday possibility.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Bane Root

After six long years I am resurrection my Malazan PbP game here on RPOL. We will be playing the other members of the Legendary BridgeBurners not sent to Darujistan, the 2nd squad, which will be assigned to High Fist Dujek One-Arm as a special operations squad. The game plot arc will run concurrent to the events in the series. If interested please send me a RTJ.

http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=49605&date=1364934763
Old 11-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Bane Root

Game death due to player attrition.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 01:10 AM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
Bane Root

Almost Twelve years after my first failed attempt, I am resurrecting my Malazan game on RPOL. It will feature the surviving members of members of the Legendary BridgeBurners that survived the collapse of Pale and were not sent to Darujistan. The 2nd squad, which will be assigned to High Fist Dujek One-Arm as a special operations squad. The game plot arcs will run concurrent to and interact with the events in the series.

Anyone interested can drop me a line over on RPOL.
http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=69510&date=1549856991