Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default Lifting ST - Only for Armor

How much of a discount would 'Only for armor' be on Lifting ST?

Also, mechanically, how would you work out things when a character has different levels of lifting ST?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Lifting ST - Only for Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How much of a discount would 'Only for armor' be on Lifting ST?
I'd probably give it around 20% (mostly because it then doesn't help in contests of ST), though frequently external payload is a better way of achieving that effect.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Hannes665

As a GM I would cut the price down to 2 pts per level instead of 3.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Except in some rules by the seat of your pants Dungeon Fantasy, I would rather use those points as cash to pay for tailored / higher quality armor to reduce its weight that way.
Flyndaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Godogma

With some character concepts decreasing the weight of the armor isn't the best solution; either way the character just can't carry enough weight to wear effective armor as well as their other necessary gear without hitting sometimes very highly unwanted encumbrance levels.

For instance if you have an ability that takes a substantial penalty for being encumbered. External Payload is a very nice suggestion - thanks!
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
aesir23

If it's a common feature of your setting, I would build it as a Perk.

Comfortable in Armor: You have adapted to the feel and weight of wearing a full suit of armor. Decrease the weight of worn armor and sheilds by 15% when determining encombrance. This is cumulative with the benefits of Expert Tailoring. In a cinematic setting, the GM may allow PCs with this perk to sleep in their armor without penalty, and to perform other mundane tasks without taking taking penalties for wearing armor (NOTE: this NEVER reduces the DX penalties for wearing layered armor.)
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
If it's a common feature of your setting, I would build it as a Perk.

Comfortable in Armor: You have adapted to the feel and weight of wearing a full suit of armor. Decrease the weight of worn armor and sheilds by 15% when determining encombrance. This is cumulative with the benefits of Expert Tailoring. In a cinematic setting, the GM may allow PCs with this perk to sleep in their armor without penalty, and to perform other mundane tasks without taking taking penalties for wearing armor (NOTE: this NEVER reduces the DX penalties for wearing layered armor.)
I think 15% is a lot, considering that this could probably make one level less of encumbrance or better yet, make the character pay for good armor but have the benefits of tailored.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Bruno

A general purpose Exposed Payload is 1 point per 20% of Basic Lift, armor-only would basically knock it down to the minimum -80% limitations, for 1 point per 50% of Basic Lift.

At which point even using the Basic Set plate armor, and a ST 10 dude, that's ofsetting 10 pounds of the about 100-pound plate armor, or 10% of the weight (and that's a pretty extreme combination).

I'd be VERY comfortable with 15% "effective weight" for a perk - I don't use the Basic Set weights and you end up getting LESS benefit for already-light armor. It's not going to kick you into another weight category unless your ST is much too low, or the rest of your equipment was what pushed you up a category in the first place - 15% of even the 100 pounds of plate is still not a full BL multiple for ST 10. And it still leaves ST 10 guy at 85 lbs of armor - not exactly bouncing around the battlefield :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
A general purpose Exposed Payload is 1 point per 20% of Basic Lift, armor-only would basically knock it down to the minimum -80% limitations, for 1 point per 50% of Basic Lift.
Actually, I don't think armor-only is a 30% limitation on payload, as armor is the single most common thing that consumes encumbrance on characters. It might be as little as -10%, or 1 point per 25% of BL. IME it's rare to carry more than 2x BL as armor, so I'd call it a perk for about 10%.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, chargen, lifting st