Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #11
DanHoward

Default Re: [GURPS Low Tech] Armor

So we should have broken all clothing up into hit locations like we did with armour? I don't recall it coming up during playtest.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #12
Enoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
So we should have broken all clothing up into hit locations like we did with armour? I don't recall it coming up during playtest.
I don't think that fits with how GURPS treats clothing anyway. I certainly don't think it's useful for most games at least.

BUT... if people are looking for that kind of thing there's several Harn pricelists that give weight and cost per percent of body cover. The cost does not translate to GURPS directly since it's very specific to the Harn setting.

Here's one. I don't see leather on it though.

-Joshua
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
Trachmyr

Quote:
No... but anything that gives both DR and is significant enough to have it's own section under materials for armor probably should have been on the table.

If light leather was such a minor point only to be considered in the category of clothing (Winter clothing for that matter), why give it a section at all except as a note under the clothing section.

The description states that it isn't usually worn standalone... but not that it never is.

Furthermore, if space was an issue, then descritions under Furs and Light Leather could have been trimmed to avoid the "see xxx section", and thus room on the table could have been provided.

----------

So no, I'm not saying you need to stat out linen... or cotton, or flax, etc. But Light Leather is a valid MATERIAL option that should have a table entry.

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I don't think that fits with how GURPS treats clothing anyway. I certainly don't think it's useful for most games at least.
Most clothing doesn't provide DR... winter clothing is the exception. The problem is that materials like buckskin don't require it to be a heavy Winter Outfit.

Last edited by Trachmyr; 10-15-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Trachmyr- Leather today is priced as a function of its weight per square foot. Garment weight buckskin would be between 1-3 oz per foot. It should be easy to start figuring the body coverage and then the total amount needed.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #15
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

If light leather is so inconsequential then why does one of the French (?)Ordinances specify that deerskin (not a heavy leather!) replace 5 layers of linen? That may be below the granularity of GURPS. What does a linen jack provide DR wise?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #16
Trachmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Trachmyr- Leather today is priced as a function of its weight per square foot. Garment weight buckskin would be between 1-3 oz per foot. It should be easy to start figuring the body coverage and then the total amount needed.
I have created my own tables for past games that covered such materials... and I've been using the 3e partial coverage rules.

I still see this as an omission to Low-Tech, I bought the book to use it's tables rather than mine.

If the omission was accidental then no prob... it's an early pdf release. I'd just like to know what stats it should have.

If the ommission was on purpose then again, no prob. I just want to point out that the stats would be very useful, so I would appreciate knowing what they should be using whatever formulas the designers decided upon.

However, I am not happy being told to treat it as winter clothing, or to use layed cloth instead... that does not work for my needs... and I feel it is basic enough that it should have been inculded... or to be added.

--------------

I'm really not trying to be argumentative here... what RPK said seemed to mirror what I was extrapolating, but I would like some "harder figures".
Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #17
DanHoward

I'd just reverse engineer the stats the way that rev kitty did then apply this to the Locations Table on p.100. Weight for Torso is around 1.7 lbs. Price is based on the Cost of Living like all clothing. If you are Struggling then use rabbit or coon skin. if you are a king then use ermine or mink.

Last edited by DanHoward; 10-15-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #18
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
If light leather is so inconsequential then why does one of the French (?)Ordinances specify that deerskin (not a heavy leather!) replace 5 layers of linen? That may be below the granularity of GURPS. What does a linen jack provide DR wise?
A large deer could probably be classified as medium leather. IIRC deerhide has a higher tensile strength than cowhide of a similar weight but it depends on how it is tanned. There isn't a fixed line between various types of leather. It is meant as a guideline. Use common sense.

Last edited by DanHoward; 10-15-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #19
Vampire-X

Quote:
I'd just reverse engineer the stats the way that rev kitty did then apply this to the Locations Table on p.100. Weight for Torso is around 1.7 lbs. Price is based on the Cost of Living like all clothing. If you are Struggling then use rabbit or coon skin. if you are a king then use ermine or mink.
Heh, I just did the math, but you beat me to it. I came up with 1.9 lbs. It is more than likely that I have an error in my figuring.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #20
Trachmyr

Reverse Engineering the stats gives between 1.64 to 1.69 depending on what you consider to be "included"... so 1.7 pounds rounded up. Likewise cost come to about $60 (assuming status 0). Don time, well I can't imagine it's be worse than Padded Cloth at 15.

However, the weight is clunky to work with... but perhaps that's due to Winter Clothing being vastly underweight! 5lbs. is pretty much jeans, a t-shirt and a pair of shoes. Yeah, I ain't going out in freezing weather in that (ofcourse I am a Florida boy, so YMMV).

Tags
armor, armor weight, low tech, low-tech, weight